Jan 27, 2012, 8:39 PM EDT
If you were to compile a list of the most unlikely 2012 All-Stars, Brian Elliott would likely be No. 1.
Merely making the trip must be surreal enough for a goalie who barely got a chance to stay in the NHL this season, but the destination really brings it full circle. Just last season, Elliott was a scapegoat for the Ottawa Senators before they traded him to Colorado for their current franchise guy Craig Anderson, now he’s among just six NHL goalies invited to the event.
“I was pretty surprised,” Elliott said. “It’s nice to realize everyone’s pulling for you and nobody’s really booing you unless you’re a Maple Leaf. It’s a great hockey city and they appreciate everybody.”
Something tells me that Elliott appreciates the experience that much more.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)