Jan 27, 2012, 8:39 PM EDT
If you were to compile a list of the most unlikely 2012 All-Stars, Brian Elliott would likely be No. 1.
Merely making the trip must be surreal enough for a goalie who barely got a chance to stay in the NHL this season, but the destination really brings it full circle. Just last season, Elliott was a scapegoat for the Ottawa Senators before they traded him to Colorado for their current franchise guy Craig Anderson, now he’s among just six NHL goalies invited to the event.
“I was pretty surprised,” Elliott said. “It’s nice to realize everyone’s pulling for you and nobody’s really booing you unless you’re a Maple Leaf. It’s a great hockey city and they appreciate everybody.”
Something tells me that Elliott appreciates the experience that much more.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 35
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25