Jan 27, 2012, 8:39 PM EDT
If you were to compile a list of the most unlikely 2012 All-Stars, Brian Elliott would likely be No. 1.
Merely making the trip must be surreal enough for a goalie who barely got a chance to stay in the NHL this season, but the destination really brings it full circle. Just last season, Elliott was a scapegoat for the Ottawa Senators before they traded him to Colorado for their current franchise guy Craig Anderson, now he’s among just six NHL goalies invited to the event.
“I was pretty surprised,” Elliott said. “It’s nice to realize everyone’s pulling for you and nobody’s really booing you unless you’re a Maple Leaf. It’s a great hockey city and they appreciate everybody.”
Something tells me that Elliott appreciates the experience that much more.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 6
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 16
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 14
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 54
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)