Jan 26, 2012, 2:22 PM EDT
The Hockey News had a long talk with NHLPA chief Donald Fehr recently to get his take on the upcoming CBA negotiations, as well as other union-related issues. You can read the entire interview here, but for the time challenged, here are three things we took away that haven’t been written a billion times already:
1. Fehr’s heard the rumors about the league possibly trying to cut the players’ share of revenue, but they’ll cross that bridge when/if they get to it. Just because the NBA and NFL did it doesn’t mean the NHL will, too.
2. He suggests baseball is in a good spot financially largely due to MLB’s “extensive revenue sharing” program. Translation: If small-market NHL owners want to improve their bottom lines, don’t ask the players to take pay cuts, ask the owners of the rich teams to spread more of their wealth around.
3. In speaking with the players, they’ve told him they want to make the game safer, but they “still want it to be a hockey game.” In other words, let’s not try to cover everything in bubble-wrap – they’re big boys, they’ve accepted the risks, now drop the puck.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)