Jan 26, 2012, 2:22 PM EST
The Hockey News had a long talk with NHLPA chief Donald Fehr recently to get his take on the upcoming CBA negotiations, as well as other union-related issues. You can read the entire interview here, but for the time challenged, here are three things we took away that haven’t been written a billion times already:
1. Fehr’s heard the rumors about the league possibly trying to cut the players’ share of revenue, but they’ll cross that bridge when/if they get to it. Just because the NBA and NFL did it doesn’t mean the NHL will, too.
2. He suggests baseball is in a good spot financially largely due to MLB’s “extensive revenue sharing” program. Translation: If small-market NHL owners want to improve their bottom lines, don’t ask the players to take pay cuts, ask the owners of the rich teams to spread more of their wealth around.
3. In speaking with the players, they’ve told him they want to make the game safer, but they “still want it to be a hockey game.” In other words, let’s not try to cover everything in bubble-wrap – they’re big boys, they’ve accepted the risks, now drop the puck.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 9
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 21
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)