Jan 26, 2012, 1:46 PM EDT
TSN host and reporter Dave Hodge stirred up some controversy Monday with a tweet that tacitly linked Boston goalie Tim Thomas to the Ku Klux Klan. Which 100 out of 100 times is bound to happen.
Hodge’s tweet, you’ve no doubt figured out for yourself, came after Thomas declined an invitation to the White House to protest what he believes is an “out of control” federal government.
Of course, the anti-big government message is the same one that’s promoted by the Tea Party, which has frequently been accused of racism.
Hodge addressed the issue Tuesday, once again taking to Twitter: “To clarify, yesterday’s tweet was simply a satirical, tongue-in-cheek observation meant to be humourous and not intended to be offensive.”
Because, hey, who would be offended by something as harmless as implying a guy was such a staunch bigot that he named his kids after the most notorious racist organization in American history?
The Globe and Mail’s Bruce Dowbiggin dug into this topic for today’s column, reaching out to TSN president Stewart Johnston for a comment.
“Just to be clear, yesterday we corroborated Dave’s follow-up tweets that clarified his intention was not to offend, and be humorous,” Johnston told the Globe in an e-mail. “While I believe 100% in the sincerity of Dave’s intent, I also believe the tweet was in poor taste. We have discussed the matter at length with Dave. Beyond that, this is an internal matter and will be dealt with as such.”
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)