Jan 26, 2012, 11:57 AM EDT
John Boruk of CSN Philadelphia has compiled a pretty interesting list, ranking all 30 NHL general manager/coaching combos.
“The two most important off-ice positions of any NHL franchise are the general manager and the head coach,” Boruk writes. “GMs will be busy right up to the trade deadline and coaches will be feeling the pressure as the postseason draws closer.
“Which pair would you want leading your franchise?”
Leading the way on Boruk’s list is the Detroit duo of GM Ken Holland and head coach Mike Babcock. No real surprise here — the Wings have made the playoffs every year since 1997 (the season Holland took over GM duties) and have been to two Stanley Cups under the Babcock regime, winning one.
Second on the list? That’d be Boston’s Peter Chiarelli and Claude Julien. They’re responsible for the reigning Stanley Cup champs, built largely around three major decisions — signing Zdeno Chara and making him team captain, sticking with goalie Tim Thomas after he lost his starting gig and the Phil Kessel trade, which netted them Tyler Seguin and highly-touted junior prospect Dougie Hamilton.
Rounding out the top five GM-coaching duos are: Pittsburgh’s Ray Shero and Dan Bylsma, Philadelphia’s Paul Holmgren and Peter Laviolette and Vancouver’s Mike Gillis and Alain Vigneault.
As for the bottom five…a couple of surprises, though not at the bottom:
No. 26 — Winnipeg’s Kevin Cheveldayoff and Claude Noel
No. 27 — Edmonton’s Steve Tambellini and Tom Renney
No. 28 — New York Islanders’ Garth Snow and Jack Capuano
No. 29 — Montreal’s Pierre Gauthier and Randy Cunneyworth
No. 30 — Columbus’ Scott Howson and Todd Richards
To see the full list of where all 30 GM-coaching duos rank, check out CSN Philadelphia Flyers Talk.
- In praise of John Tavares 5
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 18
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 13
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 54
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31