Jan 26, 2012, 11:57 AM EST
John Boruk of CSN Philadelphia has compiled a pretty interesting list, ranking all 30 NHL general manager/coaching combos.
“The two most important off-ice positions of any NHL franchise are the general manager and the head coach,” Boruk writes. “GMs will be busy right up to the trade deadline and coaches will be feeling the pressure as the postseason draws closer.
“Which pair would you want leading your franchise?”
Leading the way on Boruk’s list is the Detroit duo of GM Ken Holland and head coach Mike Babcock. No real surprise here — the Wings have made the playoffs every year since 1997 (the season Holland took over GM duties) and have been to two Stanley Cups under the Babcock regime, winning one.
Second on the list? That’d be Boston’s Peter Chiarelli and Claude Julien. They’re responsible for the reigning Stanley Cup champs, built largely around three major decisions — signing Zdeno Chara and making him team captain, sticking with goalie Tim Thomas after he lost his starting gig and the Phil Kessel trade, which netted them Tyler Seguin and highly-touted junior prospect Dougie Hamilton.
Rounding out the top five GM-coaching duos are: Pittsburgh’s Ray Shero and Dan Bylsma, Philadelphia’s Paul Holmgren and Peter Laviolette and Vancouver’s Mike Gillis and Alain Vigneault.
As for the bottom five…a couple of surprises, though not at the bottom:
No. 26 — Winnipeg’s Kevin Cheveldayoff and Claude Noel
No. 27 — Edmonton’s Steve Tambellini and Tom Renney
No. 28 — New York Islanders’ Garth Snow and Jack Capuano
No. 29 — Montreal’s Pierre Gauthier and Randy Cunneyworth
No. 30 — Columbus’ Scott Howson and Todd Richards
To see the full list of where all 30 GM-coaching duos rank, check out CSN Philadelphia Flyers Talk.
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 2
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 57
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 80
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)