Jan 26, 2012, 11:57 AM EDT
John Boruk of CSN Philadelphia has compiled a pretty interesting list, ranking all 30 NHL general manager/coaching combos.
“The two most important off-ice positions of any NHL franchise are the general manager and the head coach,” Boruk writes. “GMs will be busy right up to the trade deadline and coaches will be feeling the pressure as the postseason draws closer.
“Which pair would you want leading your franchise?”
Leading the way on Boruk’s list is the Detroit duo of GM Ken Holland and head coach Mike Babcock. No real surprise here — the Wings have made the playoffs every year since 1997 (the season Holland took over GM duties) and have been to two Stanley Cups under the Babcock regime, winning one.
Second on the list? That’d be Boston’s Peter Chiarelli and Claude Julien. They’re responsible for the reigning Stanley Cup champs, built largely around three major decisions — signing Zdeno Chara and making him team captain, sticking with goalie Tim Thomas after he lost his starting gig and the Phil Kessel trade, which netted them Tyler Seguin and highly-touted junior prospect Dougie Hamilton.
Rounding out the top five GM-coaching duos are: Pittsburgh’s Ray Shero and Dan Bylsma, Philadelphia’s Paul Holmgren and Peter Laviolette and Vancouver’s Mike Gillis and Alain Vigneault.
As for the bottom five…a couple of surprises, though not at the bottom:
No. 26 — Winnipeg’s Kevin Cheveldayoff and Claude Noel
No. 27 — Edmonton’s Steve Tambellini and Tom Renney
No. 28 — New York Islanders’ Garth Snow and Jack Capuano
No. 29 — Montreal’s Pierre Gauthier and Randy Cunneyworth
No. 30 — Columbus’ Scott Howson and Todd Richards
To see the full list of where all 30 GM-coaching duos rank, check out CSN Philadelphia Flyers Talk.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 26
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)