Jan 26, 2012, 11:57 AM EST
John Boruk of CSN Philadelphia has compiled a pretty interesting list, ranking all 30 NHL general manager/coaching combos.
“The two most important off-ice positions of any NHL franchise are the general manager and the head coach,” Boruk writes. “GMs will be busy right up to the trade deadline and coaches will be feeling the pressure as the postseason draws closer.
“Which pair would you want leading your franchise?”
Leading the way on Boruk’s list is the Detroit duo of GM Ken Holland and head coach Mike Babcock. No real surprise here — the Wings have made the playoffs every year since 1997 (the season Holland took over GM duties) and have been to two Stanley Cups under the Babcock regime, winning one.
Second on the list? That’d be Boston’s Peter Chiarelli and Claude Julien. They’re responsible for the reigning Stanley Cup champs, built largely around three major decisions — signing Zdeno Chara and making him team captain, sticking with goalie Tim Thomas after he lost his starting gig and the Phil Kessel trade, which netted them Tyler Seguin and highly-touted junior prospect Dougie Hamilton.
Rounding out the top five GM-coaching duos are: Pittsburgh’s Ray Shero and Dan Bylsma, Philadelphia’s Paul Holmgren and Peter Laviolette and Vancouver’s Mike Gillis and Alain Vigneault.
As for the bottom five…a couple of surprises, though not at the bottom:
No. 26 — Winnipeg’s Kevin Cheveldayoff and Claude Noel
No. 27 — Edmonton’s Steve Tambellini and Tom Renney
No. 28 — New York Islanders’ Garth Snow and Jack Capuano
No. 29 — Montreal’s Pierre Gauthier and Randy Cunneyworth
No. 30 — Columbus’ Scott Howson and Todd Richards
To see the full list of where all 30 GM-coaching duos rank, check out CSN Philadelphia Flyers Talk.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)