Jan 26, 2012, 6:16 PM EDT
The playoff push is back! The playoff push is back!
If you don’t know what the playoff push is, it’s courtesy Leafs beat writer James Mirtle at the Globe and Mail, and what it does is list all the teams in the NHL along with the records they’ll likely need down the stretch to qualify for the postseason.
Obviously this isn’t an exact science, but it’s still fun anyways.
For example, Mirtle predicts the Leafs will need to go 19-14-0 to make the playoffs (for the first since the lockout).
The Rangers, meanwhile, could go 13-21-1 in their last 35 games and still qualify, which would make John Tortorella so happy.
The least likely to make the playoffs? Your Columbus Blue Jackets, who would have to go 30-3-0 to sneak in.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 14
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 1
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 16
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13