Jan 26, 2012, 6:16 PM EST
The playoff push is back! The playoff push is back!
If you don’t know what the playoff push is, it’s courtesy Leafs beat writer James Mirtle at the Globe and Mail, and what it does is list all the teams in the NHL along with the records they’ll likely need down the stretch to qualify for the postseason.
Obviously this isn’t an exact science, but it’s still fun anyways.
For example, Mirtle predicts the Leafs will need to go 19-14-0 to make the playoffs (for the first since the lockout).
The Rangers, meanwhile, could go 13-21-1 in their last 35 games and still qualify, which would make John Tortorella so happy.
The least likely to make the playoffs? Your Columbus Blue Jackets, who would have to go 30-3-0 to sneak in.
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 18
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 9
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 35
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 48
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Harding’s diving save highlights Wild’s win 5
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (48)
- Video: Malkin, Penguins win wild, controversial one over Leafs (40)
- ‘It’s like Groundhog Day’: Schneider frustrated about backing up Brodeur (35)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (35)