Jan 26, 2012, 12:16 PM EST
Time to throw another name in the ol’ trade rumor hat (we actually have a trade rumor hat at PHT headquarters; it’s a top hat and we wear it often) – though to be fair, this one’s not so much rumor as it’s speculation.
Canucks beat writer Jason Botchford of the Vancouver Province suggests that speedy forward Mason Raymond might be made available prior to the Feb. 27 deadline:
He’s still young. He’s 26 years old and a former 25-goal scorer. He’s mature and well-liked, not only in the Vancouver Canucks locker-room but in the management offices at Rogers Arena, where the “speed kills” motto is so deeply entrenched it shouldn’t surprise anyone if it was said every time someone shook GM Mike Gillis’ hand.
What Mason Raymond is not, is producing. And that could mean his days in Vancouver are numbered.
Raymond is a pending RFA that’s been squeezed out of a top-six role by the Canucks’ acquisition of David Booth. He’s no longer getting much time on the power play, which is where he scored eight of his 25 goals in 2009-10, his best NHL season to date.
For a team that needs to get faster and has holes in the top six, Raymond could be a fit.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 15
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 40
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)