Jan 26, 2012, 12:39 PM EDT
Out with a concussion since Dec. 27, Tampa Bay Lightning defenseman Victor Hedman is hoping to return to the lineup on Tuesday when the Bolts face the Caps.
“I want to play games,” Hedman told the Tampa Tribune. “Being off the ice is the worst thing. I’m just trying to get back, and whether that is Tuesday or a couple of games after that, I don’t know. But my goal is to play in the next game.”
The 21-year-old rearguard has been participating in full workouts yet, prior to the All-Star break, was still wearing a red non-contact jersey during Lightning practices. There’s still no word on when he’ll receive official clearance for contact but with an extended rest period coming up, both Hedman and the organization are hopeful he’ll get it in time for next week.
“He’s been doing very, very well, and after all the time we’ve been waiting for him, it’s really nice to see him doing well,” head coach Guy Boucher said. “Everything he’s been doing, no setbacks, so that’s good.”
Getting Hedman back would be huge for the Bolts. He’s one of their top two defensemen, a key penalty killer and prior to getting hurt, second among all blueliners in minutes per game. With Tampa on a bit of a roll right now — currently riding a four-game winning streak — having the former second-overall pick back in the lineup could be a huge morale boost.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (76)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)