Jan 26, 2012, 1:09 PM EST
On Wednesday night, Toronto Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke spoke to a crowd of 400 business students, teachers and hockey fans to publicize a new book, “Behind the Moves: NHL General Managers Tell how Winner are Built.”
The talk delved deeply into Burke’s playing history, which included a stint at Providence College (from 1973-75) under then-Friars head coach/current New Jersey Devils CEO, President and GM Lou Lamoriello.
For the uninitiated, Lamoriello is something of a legend within hockey circles for his hard-nosed approach to contract negotiations and stern disciplinary methods.
With that in mind, here’s an anecdote from Burke (courtesy the National Post):
“When I played at Providence College, we played West Point, we played the U.S. military academy, at West Point. Now, this is the ’70s, we’re playing teams with guys who have hair down to here [points to shoulders]. Our hair is not allowed to touch our ear. Like, I just got a haircut today so that Lou won’t call me and tell me I need a haircut.”
Burke pointed to his freshly trimmed sideburns and continued.
“So we’re playing the cadets. We’re at centre ice and their guys skate over: ‘Hey man, what’s with the hair? We HAVE to do this. What’s with you guys?’
And we’re like, ‘we HAVE to do it, too.”
Here’s an artistic rendering of how Burke’s haircut was believed to look at the time:
As for the rest of the speech, it’s definitely worth reading, if only for the story about LouLam’s butter rations.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 1
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 15
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)