Jan 26, 2012, 1:09 PM EDT
On Wednesday night, Toronto Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke spoke to a crowd of 400 business students, teachers and hockey fans to publicize a new book, “Behind the Moves: NHL General Managers Tell how Winner are Built.”
The talk delved deeply into Burke’s playing history, which included a stint at Providence College (from 1973-75) under then-Friars head coach/current New Jersey Devils CEO, President and GM Lou Lamoriello.
For the uninitiated, Lamoriello is something of a legend within hockey circles for his hard-nosed approach to contract negotiations and stern disciplinary methods.
With that in mind, here’s an anecdote from Burke (courtesy the National Post):
“When I played at Providence College, we played West Point, we played the U.S. military academy, at West Point. Now, this is the ’70s, we’re playing teams with guys who have hair down to here [points to shoulders]. Our hair is not allowed to touch our ear. Like, I just got a haircut today so that Lou won’t call me and tell me I need a haircut.”
Burke pointed to his freshly trimmed sideburns and continued.
“So we’re playing the cadets. We’re at centre ice and their guys skate over: ‘Hey man, what’s with the hair? We HAVE to do this. What’s with you guys?’
And we’re like, ‘we HAVE to do it, too.”
Here’s an artistic rendering of how Burke’s haircut was believed to look at the time:
As for the rest of the speech, it’s definitely worth reading, if only for the story about LouLam’s butter rations.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 40
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)