Jan 26, 2012, 10:01 PM EST
To some, All-Star Fantasy Drafts end in publicized cruelty. Instead of soaking in the joy of being named one of the best players in the league, one player – Phil Kessel in 2011, Logan Couture tonight – likely regrets being there. (A free car might soothe them, although it’s likely that a professional hockey player has that base covered already.)
That being said, there’s almost a karmic balancing act going on here. I would guess that Couture and Kessel have never been picked last in a P.E. class or random game between friends. For fans watching who drew the shortest straw physically speaking, there might be a sense of sadistic glee.
Still, Couture isn’t quite the lightning rod of criticism that Kessel’s been in his career. Both provided cringe-worthy displays of discomfort at the situation, but at least Kessel has been seasoned in the harshness of the hockey world’s ways. (See: his draft stock plummeting because of “character issues” and all the fallout from being traded to Toronto.)
It’s silly to call the last pick of the Fantasy Draft Mr. Irrelevant because Couture will go on to have a fine NHL career and could very well make more All-Star teams.
Instead, it’s probably most appropriate to call him “Mr. Relatively Irrelevant,” since that is how he stacks up to his peers. (Of course, this situation carries the huge caveat that goalies had to go by Round 10 and defensemen by Round 15.)
This begs the question: who deserved to go last? Keeping in mind that forwards are the only ones who can be picked last and excluding the team captains, select your choice in the poll below.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)