Jan 26, 2012, 10:01 PM EDT
To some, All-Star Fantasy Drafts end in publicized cruelty. Instead of soaking in the joy of being named one of the best players in the league, one player – Phil Kessel in 2011, Logan Couture tonight – likely regrets being there. (A free car might soothe them, although it’s likely that a professional hockey player has that base covered already.)
That being said, there’s almost a karmic balancing act going on here. I would guess that Couture and Kessel have never been picked last in a P.E. class or random game between friends. For fans watching who drew the shortest straw physically speaking, there might be a sense of sadistic glee.
Still, Couture isn’t quite the lightning rod of criticism that Kessel’s been in his career. Both provided cringe-worthy displays of discomfort at the situation, but at least Kessel has been seasoned in the harshness of the hockey world’s ways. (See: his draft stock plummeting because of “character issues” and all the fallout from being traded to Toronto.)
It’s silly to call the last pick of the Fantasy Draft Mr. Irrelevant because Couture will go on to have a fine NHL career and could very well make more All-Star teams.
Instead, it’s probably most appropriate to call him “Mr. Relatively Irrelevant,” since that is how he stacks up to his peers. (Of course, this situation carries the huge caveat that goalies had to go by Round 10 and defensemen by Round 15.)
This begs the question: who deserved to go last? Keeping in mind that forwards are the only ones who can be picked last and excluding the team captains, select your choice in the poll below.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)