If you don’t want to read another post about Tim Thomas, don’t click here

Jan 26, 2012, 4:20 PM EST

New Jersey Devils v Boston Bruins Getty Images

Ha! You clicked on it. See? You do want to read another story about what people are saying about Tim Thomas skipping a visit to the White House.

Over to you, Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick.

“[Thomas is] a phenomenal hockey player and he’s entitled to his views,” Patrick said on a radio show. “It just feels like we are losing in this country basic courtesy and grace.”

Patrick, a Democrat, went on to say that while he disagreed with many of former President George W Bush’s policies, he was still respectful when they met.

“I always referred to him as Mr. President, I stood when he came into the room. There are rules to live by.”

1. bostonsfullofrats - Jan 26, 2012 at 4:34 PM

too late

FUCK BOSTON

2. 66gdub - Jan 26, 2012 at 4:35 PM

I don’t think any ‘Big Bad Bruins’ could ever be accused of having ‘basic courtesy and grace’…

3. rinkburgers - Jan 26, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Thomas gets traded to Tampa Bay in the off season… remember where you heard it first.

• elvispocomo - Jan 26, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Considering his salary, who is Tampa sending back? Vinny? There’d have to be a good chunk of salary going the other way.

• titknocker - Jan 26, 2012 at 10:55 PM

considering that Timmy only makes 3 mil next year it’s very possible that he gets traded in the off season. also considering his no movement clause expires at the end of this year.

4. trbowman - Jan 26, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Lol.

5. bigtganks - Jan 26, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Thank you Gov. Patrick. (regardless of whatever party you are).

It’s called respect. He has it. Shocking someone from the B’s organization doesn’t. But I won’t paint with too wide of a brush as many of them (lucic, etc) were very respectful in their comments in their visit.

6. babar61 - Jan 26, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Wow this just isn’t going to die eh? Well trade him away for a 7th round pick Boston….that anti-American, Racist, commie bastard;)

7. cowboys282 - Jan 26, 2012 at 5:45 PM

For anyone who doesn’t think the media is agenda driven need to ask themselves this question.

Why does the NHL media focus more on Tim Thomas not going to the White House than Alex Ovechkin turning his back on the NHL, NHL Sponsors, and NHL fans and skips the All Star game?

Isn’t Ovechkin and his sense of entitlement and total disregard for those who pay him money a bigger issue?

Yet all we here about is Tim Thomas exercising his right of freedom. Makes ya wonder.

• sportsinhd - Jan 26, 2012 at 6:01 PM

We all know Ovechkin is a selfish ego maniacal athlete, that’s not new to anyone on this board. I thought Tim Thomas was a proud American, I’m apparently wrong. Regardless of how you feel about the person in office, you respect the office. Thomas showed no respect, and it was disappointing. He also tried to weasel out of the situation by claiming it wasn’t political, when his misguided rhetoric said otherwise.

• imleftcoast - Jan 27, 2012 at 6:55 PM

About the lack of American eduction cowgirl? It sure does.

8. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Jan 26, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Well said, Mr. Patrick, well said.

9. withoutdoubt27 - Jan 26, 2012 at 7:04 PM

“…we are losing in this country basic courtesy and grace”?!?!

No. I believe we are bashing in the teeth of courtesy and grace with a ball peen hammer. And I believe we’re following the examples of our wonderful politicians, Mr. America.

Wouldn’t it be courteous and graceful to let Mr. Thomas’ actions slide on by relatively unnoticed as it could if we discussed it one day and accepted/dropped it the next? Is it graceful to beat this dead horse three and four days later with more public comments?

10. pastabelly - Jan 26, 2012 at 7:19 PM

It is duly noted that Theo Epstein didn’t show up for the celebration at the White House after the Sox last WS Championship and Deval Patrick didn’t say a word. Patrick and Democratic Party in the one-party state of Massachusetts are the biggest hypocrites out there and have zero standing in criticizing Thomas. With all of that being said, Thomas’ actions took away from the team’s celebration and he is selfish. I vote for some Democrats in Massachusetts. But I would never vote for Barney Frank or Deval Patrick. Scum.

• itsallniceonice - Jan 26, 2012 at 9:26 PM

The one party state that elected Mitt Romney? Ok dumbass.

11. sjsharksfan11 - Jan 26, 2012 at 7:47 PM

That governor can fuck himself. Full support for Tim

12. cliverush - Jan 26, 2012 at 9:25 PM

While I do not agree with many of the Governors politics I can say he is a gentleman and a nice man to speak with. This is a hot button topic and can be viewed from many angles but this is a fact. The President of the United States of America invited you to the White House. Accept the honor as a member of your team. This is not the time or place for political antics. There are many avenues for that activity to take place.

13. titknocker - Jan 26, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Deval Patrick sucks! I’m surprised that he even knows who Tim Thomas is or even what hockey is.

Fuck Obama too!!

• imleftcoast - Jan 27, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Too? You mean after your mom?

14. me6661973 - Jan 27, 2012 at 12:22 AM

First Go Flyers! I respect Tim he stood for his right to not go stand in support man doesn’t even have legal birth certificate. He didn’t bad mouth him on TV he just refused an invite to be thank by him. He did respect him by not being there. If I was ask to see him I decline also. Now if it was Bush or Jimmy Carter I be there in heart beat. Just think silence decline was respect of his freedom and respect to guy he didn’t want to see. Don’t eat my food if you don’t like me because I just ask you to dinner.

More than a Stanley Cup hangover?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches