Jan 26, 2012, 8:23 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes’ ownership situation has morphed into a humorless version of “Groundhog Day.” If you’re anything like me, you glance at each development with one of Bill Murray’s patented beaten-down facial expressions.
At least this latest bit of news is positive as Gary Bettman claims that there’s a third group interested in possibly purchasing the Coyotes, according to the Associated Press. The non-shadowy groups include one featuring former San Jose Sharks executive Greg Jamison and one headed by often-mentioned Chicago power broker Jerry Reinsdorf.
Unfortunately, amid that vague optimism, there was this disconcerting bit:
“We’re going to try to avoid a move of the Coyotes, but if we don’t sell the club, I’m not sure that this won’t be the last season here,” Bettman said.
Usually when things really start to pick up in these situations, you begin hearing about the good kind of deadlines. (Example: “Interested teams need to submit their bids by Date X.”) Instead, this situation doesn’t include much talk beyond Bettman’s worries that the team might have to relocate if something doesn’t get done this season.
It feels like we’ve been through this drill before, but Bettman going on the record with his doubts makes it seem like a real answer will surface soon enough.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 11
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 37
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 33
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)