Jan 26, 2012, 8:23 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes’ ownership situation has morphed into a humorless version of “Groundhog Day.” If you’re anything like me, you glance at each development with one of Bill Murray’s patented beaten-down facial expressions.
At least this latest bit of news is positive as Gary Bettman claims that there’s a third group interested in possibly purchasing the Coyotes, according to the Associated Press. The non-shadowy groups include one featuring former San Jose Sharks executive Greg Jamison and one headed by often-mentioned Chicago power broker Jerry Reinsdorf.
Unfortunately, amid that vague optimism, there was this disconcerting bit:
“We’re going to try to avoid a move of the Coyotes, but if we don’t sell the club, I’m not sure that this won’t be the last season here,” Bettman said.
Usually when things really start to pick up in these situations, you begin hearing about the good kind of deadlines. (Example: “Interested teams need to submit their bids by Date X.”) Instead, this situation doesn’t include much talk beyond Bettman’s worries that the team might have to relocate if something doesn’t get done this season.
It feels like we’ve been through this drill before, but Bettman going on the record with his doubts makes it seem like a real answer will surface soon enough.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)