Jan 26, 2012, 8:23 PM EST
The Phoenix Coyotes’ ownership situation has morphed into a humorless version of “Groundhog Day.” If you’re anything like me, you glance at each development with one of Bill Murray’s patented beaten-down facial expressions.
At least this latest bit of news is positive as Gary Bettman claims that there’s a third group interested in possibly purchasing the Coyotes, according to the Associated Press. The non-shadowy groups include one featuring former San Jose Sharks executive Greg Jamison and one headed by often-mentioned Chicago power broker Jerry Reinsdorf.
Unfortunately, amid that vague optimism, there was this disconcerting bit:
“We’re going to try to avoid a move of the Coyotes, but if we don’t sell the club, I’m not sure that this won’t be the last season here,” Bettman said.
Usually when things really start to pick up in these situations, you begin hearing about the good kind of deadlines. (Example: “Interested teams need to submit their bids by Date X.”) Instead, this situation doesn’t include much talk beyond Bettman’s worries that the team might have to relocate if something doesn’t get done this season.
It feels like we’ve been through this drill before, but Bettman going on the record with his doubts makes it seem like a real answer will surface soon enough.
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 1
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 17
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 14
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 9
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)