Jan 26, 2012, 11:00 AM EST
There was hope in the Hurricanes organization that defenseman Joni Pitkanen would return to the lineup following the All-Star break.
But it seems his laundry list of health issues will keep that from happening.
Carolina GM Jim Rutherford told the News and Observer that Pitkanen — who has been out since suffering a concussion on Dec. 6, then underwent knee surgery on Jan. 6 — might not be available to the team until March.
“He’s coming along,” Rutherford said. “Obviously he’s a real good player for us and hopefully he’ll feel better soon.
“It’s all about the approach to rehab and how you go about the rehab. Based on his rehab, it should be about the first of March when he can get back to skating. Then it would be a week or so before he’s playing.”
Pitkanen’s absence has really hurt the ‘Canes. Prior to getting injured he led all defensemen in ice time (22:35) and was arguably the team’s most skilled blueliner. Pitkanen registered 12 points through 21 games early on in the season, which had him on pace for a 45-50 point season.
An interesting development from the Pitkanen injury is that Rutherford claims it won’t prevent him from being active at the trade deadline. Fellow defensemen Tim Gleason, Bryan Allen and Jaroslav Spacek are all impending UFAs and believed to be coveted by more than a few playoff-bound teams.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 43
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)