Wanna see Matt Hendricks’ ear split in half? Warning: It’s pretty gross

Jan 25, 2012, 3:24 PM EST

Mike Vogel of Washington Capitals blog Dump ‘n Chase caught up with Caps forward Matt Hendricks after Hendricks took a shot to the ear from teammate Alex Ovechkin. The incident occurred last Saturday and, as you may know, Ovechkin can rifle a puck with a fair bit of velocity.

“It hit me and it was kind of surprising,” says Hendricks. “It felt like somebody came up and hit me in the head with a baseball bat. It stunned me. I realized I was bleeding and pain was setting in. I knew it wasn’t good. I was pretty upset. I was thinking of all the worst possible injuries I could have had and I was hoping that it wasn’t going to be that bad.”

Hendricks quickly ran to the dressing room and looked in the mirror.

It was that bad.

(If you’re squeamish, don’t continue.)

(If you’re at a workplace that frowns upon pictures of split ears, don’t continue.)

(It’s gross, seriously.)

Okay, here  we go…

source:

“It wasn’t a pretty sight, that’s for sure,” Hendricks said.

“The Pens had a great plastic surgeon who came down to the rink and took good care of me. He was able to stitch the cartilage back together and then stitch the ear back together as a whole. And then there are a few more stitches in the side of my head.”

And just to re-affirm the notion that hockey players are insanely tough, Hendricks not only played the next day against Pittsburgh — he skated with Brooks Laich and Troy Brouwer on Washington’s top checking line, assigned to shut down Evgeni Malkin.

That meant Hendricks, who usually averages around 10 minutes a game, was out there for almost 17 minutes, wearing a custom helmet to protect his mangled ear.

And just to re-affirm the notion that hockey players are insanely tough and potentially insane, Hendricks took a nasty shot to the head from Zbynek Michalek (which he returned from). Two nights later against Boston, he took a puck to the head that re-opened the ear and led to some serious bleeding.

True to form, Hendricks returned to that game as well…and played a career-high 17:45.

1. Ralphie - Jan 25, 2012 at 3:35 PM

That’s not half as bad as that picture of John Kerry’s mug you posted yesterday.

2. lsxphotog - Jan 25, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Wow, nice and gross for sure. Ears usually heal pretty easily if you can stop touching it.

3. orpikseyes - Jan 25, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Ovi, what a jerk. Yet another reason he deserves to be suspended.

• fthepens - Jan 25, 2012 at 4:39 PM

I wouldn’t expect anything less out of a S***sburgh fan named orpikseyes. Ovie cant play and Cindy won’t play, so get a hold of uncle Betman and Aunt Shanahan to stick up for your dirtbag cheapshot team.

• letangshair - Jan 25, 2012 at 5:01 PM

At least orpiks eyes work. Hows prongers? DONT YO FACE FEEL TIGHT

4. orpikseyes - Jan 25, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Where’s my boy ‘pittsburghpoonslayer’ at? Fuq these beautiful betches up with some truth.

5. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Jan 25, 2012 at 6:09 PM

I tried all day not to click this link, but it’s like looking at a car crash, you can’t help it.

6. zestypickles - Jan 25, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Sidney Crosby. heheheheheheh. hehe.

7. tmjm621 - Jan 25, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Matt hendricks is what all hockey players should strive to be. I domt mean talent wise i know hes not great but physically and emotionaly, hes tough as nails and never gives up

8. michiganhockey11 - Jan 26, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Matt Hendricks: One BMF.

More than a Stanley Cup hangover?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches