Jan 25, 2012, 8:24 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens are playing well tonight (currently up 4-0 against the Detroit Red Wings), but the bottom line is that the big picture has been ugly. Losing team captain Brian Gionta added another injury to the insults, but he spoke to the media for the first time since what seemed to be season-ending bicep surgery today.
The most interesting thing he said was that the surgery might not end his 2011-12 campaign after all, although that could just be blind optimism:
Would it really be worth it for him to come back if Montreal remains trapped in the Eastern Conference cellar? Maybe not, but you get the feeling that Gionta is having trouble watching his team struggle from the sidelines.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 57
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 27
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15