Jan 25, 2012, 8:24 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens are playing well tonight (currently up 4-0 against the Detroit Red Wings), but the bottom line is that the big picture has been ugly. Losing team captain Brian Gionta added another injury to the insults, but he spoke to the media for the first time since what seemed to be season-ending bicep surgery today.
The most interesting thing he said was that the surgery might not end his 2011-12 campaign after all, although that could just be blind optimism:
Would it really be worth it for him to come back if Montreal remains trapped in the Eastern Conference cellar? Maybe not, but you get the feeling that Gionta is having trouble watching his team struggle from the sidelines.
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 19
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 14
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 32
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 45
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 50
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 28
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10