Jan 25, 2012, 4:18 PM EDT
Chicago Blackhawks general manager Stan Bowman has been added to the U.S. Men’s National Team advisory group, the group responsible for selecting players for the 2012 IIHF World Championship.
“I’m honored for the opportunity to contribute to this group, and to the continued success of the U.S. Men’s National Team on the international stage,” Bowman said. “Thanks to the efforts of NHL teams in their local markets, and USA Hockey on a national level, the game has never been stronger in this country.”
Bowman — son of Hockey Hall of Fame coach Scotty Bowman — is regarded as one of the brightest young GMs in hockey. At 38 he’s already won a Stanley Cup (granted, it was with Dale Tallon’s roster) and did some impressive work finagling around Chicago’s cap crunch during the summer of 2010.
Now, he’ll work alongside some of the most renowned GMs in the business: Brian Burke (Toronto Maple Leafs), Paul Holmgren (Philadelphia Flyers), Dean Lombardi (Los Angeles Kings), David Poile (Nashville Predators), Ray Shero (Pittsburgh Penguins), Dale Tallon (Florida Panthers) and Don Waddell all currently serve on the advisory committee.
The 2012 IIHF World Championship will take place from May 4-20 in Finland and Sweden.
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 2
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 9
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)