Jan 25, 2012, 4:18 PM EDT
Chicago Blackhawks general manager Stan Bowman has been added to the U.S. Men’s National Team advisory group, the group responsible for selecting players for the 2012 IIHF World Championship.
“I’m honored for the opportunity to contribute to this group, and to the continued success of the U.S. Men’s National Team on the international stage,” Bowman said. “Thanks to the efforts of NHL teams in their local markets, and USA Hockey on a national level, the game has never been stronger in this country.”
Bowman — son of Hockey Hall of Fame coach Scotty Bowman — is regarded as one of the brightest young GMs in hockey. At 38 he’s already won a Stanley Cup (granted, it was with Dale Tallon’s roster) and did some impressive work finagling around Chicago’s cap crunch during the summer of 2010.
Now, he’ll work alongside some of the most renowned GMs in the business: Brian Burke (Toronto Maple Leafs), Paul Holmgren (Philadelphia Flyers), Dean Lombardi (Los Angeles Kings), David Poile (Nashville Predators), Ray Shero (Pittsburgh Penguins), Dale Tallon (Florida Panthers) and Don Waddell all currently serve on the advisory committee.
The 2012 IIHF World Championship will take place from May 4-20 in Finland and Sweden.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Without Shea Weber, Predators can’t contain Hawks in Game 3 7
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 19
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 84
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 68
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (84)