Jan 25, 2012, 4:18 PM EDT
Chicago Blackhawks general manager Stan Bowman has been added to the U.S. Men’s National Team advisory group, the group responsible for selecting players for the 2012 IIHF World Championship.
“I’m honored for the opportunity to contribute to this group, and to the continued success of the U.S. Men’s National Team on the international stage,” Bowman said. “Thanks to the efforts of NHL teams in their local markets, and USA Hockey on a national level, the game has never been stronger in this country.”
Bowman — son of Hockey Hall of Fame coach Scotty Bowman — is regarded as one of the brightest young GMs in hockey. At 38 he’s already won a Stanley Cup (granted, it was with Dale Tallon’s roster) and did some impressive work finagling around Chicago’s cap crunch during the summer of 2010.
Now, he’ll work alongside some of the most renowned GMs in the business: Brian Burke (Toronto Maple Leafs), Paul Holmgren (Philadelphia Flyers), Dean Lombardi (Los Angeles Kings), David Poile (Nashville Predators), Ray Shero (Pittsburgh Penguins), Dale Tallon (Florida Panthers) and Don Waddell all currently serve on the advisory committee.
The 2012 IIHF World Championship will take place from May 4-20 in Finland and Sweden.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)