Jan 25, 2012, 4:18 PM EDT
Chicago Blackhawks general manager Stan Bowman has been added to the U.S. Men’s National Team advisory group, the group responsible for selecting players for the 2012 IIHF World Championship.
“I’m honored for the opportunity to contribute to this group, and to the continued success of the U.S. Men’s National Team on the international stage,” Bowman said. “Thanks to the efforts of NHL teams in their local markets, and USA Hockey on a national level, the game has never been stronger in this country.”
Bowman — son of Hockey Hall of Fame coach Scotty Bowman — is regarded as one of the brightest young GMs in hockey. At 38 he’s already won a Stanley Cup (granted, it was with Dale Tallon’s roster) and did some impressive work finagling around Chicago’s cap crunch during the summer of 2010.
Now, he’ll work alongside some of the most renowned GMs in the business: Brian Burke (Toronto Maple Leafs), Paul Holmgren (Philadelphia Flyers), Dean Lombardi (Los Angeles Kings), David Poile (Nashville Predators), Ray Shero (Pittsburgh Penguins), Dale Tallon (Florida Panthers) and Don Waddell all currently serve on the advisory committee.
The 2012 IIHF World Championship will take place from May 4-20 in Finland and Sweden.
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 12
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 11
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 21
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 32
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)