Jan 25, 2012, 9:23 AM EDT
A lot of Tim Thomas‘ Bruins teammates are putting on the good face to say that his decision to not join the team at the White House for their visit with President Barack Obama. Others in the organization aren’t too happy though.
Fluto Shinzawa of the Boston Globe talks about Thomas’ White House snub once again today and in speaking with some Bruins players and staffers, he finds out that not everyone was happy about Thomas staying back at the hotel.
It was Timmy being Timmy.
“[Expletive] selfish [expletive],’’ one team source said.
Filling in the blanks there would only tell you that Thomas opting to avoid President Obama manged to peeve those close to the team. These ill feelings pop up even in spite of the Bruins knowing about Thomas’ decision for some time. Milan Lucic, however, tells Shinzawa that not everyone is taking things so close to heart.
“It is what it is,’’ Bruins winger Milan Lucic said. “I don’t think it really matters what I think about it. I still enjoyed the day and took part in the opportunity.
“I know the other guys that were there had a lot of fun. It’s something that I, personally, will remember for the rest of my life.’’
You would like to think that Thomas’ decision won’t lead to discord in the Bruins locker room, but things are uncomfortable right now. Winning will cure all ills, but with this story left to fester during the All-Star Break we’re not likely to see things die down anytime soon.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)