Jan 25, 2012, 7:56 PM EST
Despite a slight gap in high-end talent and differing national ties, Alex Ovechkin strikes me as the next Jeremy Roenick in many ways.* Both forwards have been outspoken, entertaining, hard-hitting and offensively gifted in their primes, though many harshly judge them because of their lack of championship success.
Considering their kindred spirits, it’s a little stunning whenever J.R. utters some unflattering words about Ovi. Wednesday provided one of those examples, as Roenick shared some pointed criticisms in his NHL.com blog. Here are some of the highlights:
He says since he’s suspended he shouldn’t go to the All-Star Game, but to me that is a cop-out.
… Listen, I am a big Ovechkin fan. I have been since Day 1. But it doesn’t matter that I’m a fan of his because I am disappointed with the way he has treated this situation. There has to be a little more loyalty to a League that has enabled you to make over $100 million.
Roenick makes some great points, but let’s face it. Washington Capitals owner Ted Leonsis is the one who’s signing his checks, so he’s probably showing loyalty to the most important group of all – his team.
The three-game suspension could hurt Washington (though they won the first game he sat out), but a potentially well-rested Ovechkin might just be worth the wait. It’s understandable that Roenick is disappointed – in many ways, Ovechkin qualifies as the one truly irreplaceable entertainer in the NHL – but the league’s loss could be the Capitals’ gain.
* In fact, if EA Sports ever made a “new” version of the Sega Genesis/SNES-era NHL games, I’d bet that a 16-bit Ovechkin would end up remarkably similar to the version of J.R. who gained Vince Vaughn’s adulation.
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 0
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 4
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 1
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 23
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)