Jan 25, 2012, 2:02 PM EDT
Internet sports book Bovada has posted a few fun props for Thursday’s All-Star Fantasy Draft (8 p.m. ET NBCSP, TSN, RDS). Let’s take a look:
Who will be picked first?
The overwhelming favorite is Senators defenseman Erik Karlsson (5/6), who captain Daniel Alfredsson has already said he’ll choose first for his team. But what if Zdeno Chara wins the coin toss and gets first pick? Chara’s Boston teammate, Tim Thomas, is getting 6/1 odds, which are considerably higher than Karlsson’s. Would Chara really pass on picking Thomas first if he had the option? Not sure that would be a wise PR move, given what’s been written lately. “So Zdeno, did you pass on Thomas because everyone on the Bruins can’t stand him?” That said, one guy that might be worth taking a chance on is Leafs forward Phil Kessel at a whopping 35/1. Two reasons: 1) He was the last pick last season and handled it like a champ, 2) Kessel’s teammate, Joffrey Lupul, is Chara’s assistant captain.
Who will be picked last?
Four co-favorites (13/2) here – Jamie Benn, Jason Pominville, Logan Couture and Jordan Eberle. Remember, it has to be a forward, as all goalies and defenseman have to be chosen by Round 10 and Round 15, respectively. If I had to pick one of those four, I’d go with Couture. Why? Benn has more points (42 to Couture’s 36), Pominville’s a vet and might even get a pity pick because he’s on the Sabres, and Eberle would be fun to have on your team during an All-Star game.
Will Chara pick a member of the Vancouver Canucks?
Yes (-300), No (+200). Three Canucks made the squad – Henrik Sedin, Daniel Sedin and Alex Edler. The odds makers are probably thinking that when one Sedin is picked the other one will go next, which is what happened last year. However, it’s worth noting that Bruins forward Shawn Thornton has said he doesn’t want Chara to pick any Canucks, so maybe that will be a factor. One player that Chara definitely won’t be picking? Shawn Thornton.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 28
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 52
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 24
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 87
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 14
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)