Jan 25, 2012, 9:08 PM EST
If there are such things as “trap games” in the NHL, then that might just be happening as the Montreal Canadiens currently have a jaw-dropping 6-0 lead over the Detroit Red Wings.
Go ahead and get the inevitable jokes out of your system. The elderly Red Wings took advantage of the All-Star weekend’s early bird special. Or maybe go with a Tim Thomas joke: “Detroit decides that the 82-game season has grown as bloated as the federal government.”
To many, this is all about Detroit sleepwalking through the last game before the All-Star break, but Montreal is worthy of credit for sticking it to a great team. Enjoy highlights of a surprising 4-0 first period below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 0
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 3
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 17
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11