Jan 25, 2012, 1:24 AM EDT
As Joe pointed out Tuesday morning, the Minnesota Wild visited the Avalanche in Colorado in a match with implications for the West’s eight spot. The two struggling teams played a close game but Minnesota ending up widening its lead over Colorado with a 3-2 win.
Here’s the recap:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Here are the highlights:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Perhaps most importantly, this is what the playoff picture looks like as of this writing:
As of this moment, there’s a heated match between eight-place Minnesota and the next four teams as the Avalanche, Dallas Stars, Calgary Flames and Phoenix Coyotes are within shouting distance. One might argue that the surging Anaheim Ducks could get back in the picture too, although February might make that dream fade soon enough.
Either way, this win was important for the Wild because it keeps them just a stride or two ahead of the pack.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)