Jan 25, 2012, 1:24 AM EDT
As Joe pointed out Tuesday morning, the Minnesota Wild visited the Avalanche in Colorado in a match with implications for the West’s eight spot. The two struggling teams played a close game but Minnesota ending up widening its lead over Colorado with a 3-2 win.
Here’s the recap:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Here are the highlights:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Perhaps most importantly, this is what the playoff picture looks like as of this writing:
As of this moment, there’s a heated match between eight-place Minnesota and the next four teams as the Avalanche, Dallas Stars, Calgary Flames and Phoenix Coyotes are within shouting distance. One might argue that the surging Anaheim Ducks could get back in the picture too, although February might make that dream fade soon enough.
Either way, this win was important for the Wild because it keeps them just a stride or two ahead of the pack.
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 16
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 38
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 33
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21