Jan 25, 2012, 10:18 PM EDT
After six years that more or less followed a pattern of disappointment, something just feels different about the Toronto Maple Leafs now.
Sure, the Buds made a late and ultimately futile charge toward the postseason last year, but the 2011-12 campaign smacks of honest-to-goodness progress. That’s not to say that the Maple Leafs are without their blemishes, but for the first time since the lockout, it seems like they boast a squad suitable enough to be dangerous in the playoffs.
If you ask Burke, a playoff run is pretty pointless if you don’t have a real shot to make noise.
With that in mind, GM Brian Burke’s trade objectives are likely shifting from the future to the present. In more direct terms, it means that the Maple Leafs are primed to be buyers instead of sellers.
The Maple Leafs just hope that Burke opts for a slight change in makeup rather than a bold makeover, as The Toronto Sun’s Lance Hornby reports.
That brings the discussion to PHT readers: do you think that the Maple Leafs are good enough to make a run with small moves or would Burke need to land a blockbuster to truly morph Toronto into contenders? Share your thoughts in the comments.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)