Jan 25, 2012, 12:18 PM EDT
If you haven’t been noticing the Vancouver Canucks this season for all the wrong reasons, that’s by design.
The Canucks are trying to do things a little bit differently this year in that a lot of the shenanigans that made them one of the most reviled teams in the league last year have gone away. Without the diving, chirping, and even biting the Canucks are winning games drama-free.
Mark Spector of Sportsnet talks to Canucks captain Henrik Sedin who says they’re drawing their inspiration from a certain Western Conference rival on how to win games without all the side show antics.
“I think it needs to (change),” Henrik said, for the first time in our recollection, anyhow. “I think we’ve grown as a team, and it needs to change. If I would be a referee, and I would see guys do that kind of stuff…
“I get back to Detroit,” Henrik concluded. “They’re a good team, they’re always there, and they don’t need to have players doing that kind of stuff.”
If the Canucks have turned over a new leaf and dumped the juvenile stuff, they become a more respectable and dangerous team in the playoffs. For a team that learned a lot of hard lessons losing in seven games in the Stanley Cup finals, that’s a huge development.
Just picture what the Canucks could’ve done last year without Alex Burrows‘ biting and the diving from the Sedins. Actually, it’s probably for the best that Vancouver fans don’t go back and try to re-live that and just hope that this new way of doing things sticks around.
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 1
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)