Jan 25, 2012, 12:38 PM EST
The Toronto Maple Leafs have reportedly locked up a key cog on their blue line until 2016.
Liles, currently out with a concussion, has 21 points in 34 games and has helped the Leafs to one of the best power plays in the NHL.
Toronto was among the worst with the man advantage last season, after which they acquired Liles over the summer from the Colorado Avalanche.
“He’s a power-play guy, a position we’ve definitely been lacking since Kaberle was gone. He’s going to step right in and will be given a lot of responsibility and opportunity.”
Liles was set to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1. His long-term commitment may allow general manager Brian Burke to offload a defenseman, of which the Leafs have many, prior to the Feb. 27 trade deadline.
Related: Luke Schenn shakes off trade rumors
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)