Jan 25, 2012, 12:38 PM EST
The Toronto Maple Leafs have reportedly locked up a key cog on their blue line until 2016.
Liles, currently out with a concussion, has 21 points in 34 games and has helped the Leafs to one of the best power plays in the NHL.
Toronto was among the worst with the man advantage last season, after which they acquired Liles over the summer from the Colorado Avalanche.
“He’s a power-play guy, a position we’ve definitely been lacking since Kaberle was gone. He’s going to step right in and will be given a lot of responsibility and opportunity.”
Liles was set to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1. His long-term commitment may allow general manager Brian Burke to offload a defenseman, of which the Leafs have many, prior to the Feb. 27 trade deadline.
Related: Luke Schenn shakes off trade rumors
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 19
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 26
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 9
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 35
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)