Jan 25, 2012, 12:38 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs have reportedly locked up a key cog on their blue line until 2016.
Liles, currently out with a concussion, has 21 points in 34 games and has helped the Leafs to one of the best power plays in the NHL.
Toronto was among the worst with the man advantage last season, after which they acquired Liles over the summer from the Colorado Avalanche.
“He’s a power-play guy, a position we’ve definitely been lacking since Kaberle was gone. He’s going to step right in and will be given a lot of responsibility and opportunity.”
Liles was set to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1. His long-term commitment may allow general manager Brian Burke to offload a defenseman, of which the Leafs have many, prior to the Feb. 27 trade deadline.
Related: Luke Schenn shakes off trade rumors
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 0
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 31
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 19
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 82
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (82)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)