Jan 25, 2012, 12:38 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs have reportedly locked up a key cog on their blue line until 2016.
Liles, currently out with a concussion, has 21 points in 34 games and has helped the Leafs to one of the best power plays in the NHL.
Toronto was among the worst with the man advantage last season, after which they acquired Liles over the summer from the Colorado Avalanche.
“He’s a power-play guy, a position we’ve definitely been lacking since Kaberle was gone. He’s going to step right in and will be given a lot of responsibility and opportunity.”
Liles was set to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1. His long-term commitment may allow general manager Brian Burke to offload a defenseman, of which the Leafs have many, prior to the Feb. 27 trade deadline.
Related: Luke Schenn shakes off trade rumors
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 2
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 25
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)