Jan 25, 2012, 3:57 PM EDT
Investors in municipal bonds are worried about Glendale’s finances as the Arizona city waits on an owner to buy the Phoenix Coyotes and either keep them in the city-owned Jobing.com Arena or move them to another market.
Dow Jones reports that Glendale was forced to drop the price on $52 million in debt it sold this week, as bond buyers demanded a higher return to compensate for the perceived risk associated with the in-limbo NHL team.
Christopher Ihlefeld, managing director and portfolio manager at Thornburg Investment Management, tells Dow Jones that “the hockey team has been a real drain on resources” for Glendale.
Now, to be fair, the bond yields remain fairly low – “The longest maturity, in 2033, saw yields go from 3.85% initially to 4.05% in a later pricing” – but if the Coyotes end up moving away at the end of the season, what would investors demand then? According to city spokeswoman Julie Frisoni, there are “hundreds of millions of dollars in economic impact the NHL team brings to the entire region.”
Stay tuned to PHT, your home for all the latest news in the fascinating world of municipal bonds. (Or munis, as we call them around here.)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 9
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 10
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)