Jan 25, 2012, 11:38 AM EDT
You knew it had to happen eventually.
With how bad the Blue Jackets have been this season and the lack of forward progress they’ve seen in spite of firing former coach Scott Arniel, some Columbus fans have just about had it. Columbus Dispatch columnist Michael Arace finds out that some Blue Jackets fans are going to protest the team to try and make change happen.
On Saturday, as the NHL stands down for the All-Star break, some Jackets fans are planning to gather in front of Nationwide to demand the ouster of team president Mike Priest and general manager Scott Howson. The summons first went out on the web on Monday night — right after the Jackets staggered through a 4-1 loss at Nashville.
We’ve seen protests in Montreal against the hiring of Randy Cunneyworth but protesting a team for failing to get things right in a city desperate to root for a winner seems like a nobler effort. In Columbus where the team has made the playoffs once in team history and the team is perpetually losing money, wanting to see the people in charge ousted makes a world of sense.
The other side of this, however, is whether or not the fans can help make the message crystal clear that they demand better.
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 2
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 17
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 27
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 45
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Live Extra: Watch live coverage of Penguins-Senators
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles