Jan 25, 2012, 11:06 PM EST
These are the types of games that takes years off of coaches’ lives.
The Detroit Red Wings absolutely sleepwalked through a 7-2 loss to the Montreal Canadiens. Mike Babcock was predictably displeased, as you can see from these two comments via Dave Stubbs:
“I’m not going to study video of this,” Babcock said. “I’m going for a drink.”
“It’s unfortunate that people came to watch the Red Wings play and they never got to see ‘em”
(Perhaps I’m slipping into All-Star Break form, but am I the only person who imagined Rodney Dangerfield’s “No respect” tone in Babcock’s quips? Probably, but you should try it too.)
Many will pass this off as a classic trap game, but it’s not crazy to say that Detroit might regret its lackadaisical efforts. Here’s a snap shot of where this loss leaves them and the rest of the Central Division heading into the break:
Detroit: 50 Games Played; 33-16-1 for 67 points
St. Louis: 49 GP; 29-13-7 for 65 points
Nashville: 50 GP; 30-16-4 for 64 points
Chicago: 50 GP; 29-15-6 for 64 points
As you can see, Detroit remains on solid footing in the short-term as a St. Louis Blues win wouldn’t dislodge the Red Wings from the top spot since they’ll take the wins tie-breaker.
Still, the Red Wings have to kick themselves for muffing this punt. Even generating a single point would have given them a valuable chunk of breathing room in a cutthroat division.
It’s the kind of letdown that might just drive a coach to the bottle.
Check out the highlights below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 11
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 3
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 13
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4