Jan 25, 2012, 11:06 PM EST
These are the types of games that takes years off of coaches’ lives.
The Detroit Red Wings absolutely sleepwalked through a 7-2 loss to the Montreal Canadiens. Mike Babcock was predictably displeased, as you can see from these two comments via Dave Stubbs:
“I’m not going to study video of this,” Babcock said. “I’m going for a drink.”
“It’s unfortunate that people came to watch the Red Wings play and they never got to see ‘em”
(Perhaps I’m slipping into All-Star Break form, but am I the only person who imagined Rodney Dangerfield’s “No respect” tone in Babcock’s quips? Probably, but you should try it too.)
Many will pass this off as a classic trap game, but it’s not crazy to say that Detroit might regret its lackadaisical efforts. Here’s a snap shot of where this loss leaves them and the rest of the Central Division heading into the break:
Detroit: 50 Games Played; 33-16-1 for 67 points
St. Louis: 49 GP; 29-13-7 for 65 points
Nashville: 50 GP; 30-16-4 for 64 points
Chicago: 50 GP; 29-15-6 for 64 points
As you can see, Detroit remains on solid footing in the short-term as a St. Louis Blues win wouldn’t dislodge the Red Wings from the top spot since they’ll take the wins tie-breaker.
Still, the Red Wings have to kick themselves for muffing this punt. Even generating a single point would have given them a valuable chunk of breathing room in a cutthroat division.
It’s the kind of letdown that might just drive a coach to the bottle.
Check out the highlights below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)