Jan 25, 2012, 3:47 PM EDT
Three years after Nicklas Lidstrom was suspended for bailing on the NHL All-Star Game, Detroit Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock praised the league for letting his captain pass on this year’s festivities.
“At 41 years of age and with seven Norris trophies and going to the all-star game every year, I think if [Lidstrom] needs four days off, the National Hockey League respects that,” Babcock told the Canadian Press. “There was no fooling around. It was done up front. He deserves the time off.”
In 2009, Lidstrom and Pavel Datsyuk were suspended one game after not attending the All-Star Game in Montreal. Their decisions broke a policy stating injured All-Stars must have missed at least the last game before the All-Star break in order to be excused; otherwise, they must sit out the first regular-season game after the break.
That said, the veterans really should’ve been locks for the ASG — Lidstrom is ninth in defenseman scoring and fourth in plus-minus while Selanne leads the Ducks in scoring (45 points in 48 games), 18th overall in the NHL.
In related news, Wings GM Ken Holland said Lidstrom is a game-time decision for tonight’s affair against Montreal. The veteran defenseman is dealing with the flu.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 32
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 90
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 17
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)