Jan 24, 2012, 11:16 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres’ bigger picture nightmare is far from over, but considering how things have been going, any hint of sunshine is a welcome sight.
Tuesday provided a small burst of positivity as the Sabres ended a franchise-record 12-game losing streak by topping the New Jersey Devils 2-1 in a shootout.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
That’s nothing to sneeze at statistically speaking, by the way, as the Devils fell to an 8-2 in the skills competition this season. If Buffalo fans want more glass half-full bits, here are a few other things:
- They’re no longer last overall in the East as they have games in hand and more wins than the Carolina Hurricanes, who are also stuck at 45 points.
- Ryan Miller had a nice night, stopping 27 out of 28 shots and only allowed a single shootout tally.
- After finishing January with a road game against Montreal, the Sabres could have a very favorable February. They play at home against the Ranger to start the month and the follow that with a trip to Long Island against the Islanders on Feb. 4. After that, they’ll sandwich one road game between two four-game homestands.
Will those stretches be enough for Buffalo to get back into the playoff picture? That’s as much up to them as it is the rest of the league, but 10 points can dissolve quicker than you think. (As you may recall, the Sabres weren’t exactly a shoo-in for the playoffs last season, either.)
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 8
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 35
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)