Jan 24, 2012, 5:39 PM EDT
Anybody who says they thought the Ottawa Senators would have a seven-point playoff cushion at this point in the season should be forced to prove it. Otherwise they should be deemed liars and shunned by society.
For Sens owner Eugene Melnyk – who, for the record, didn’t expect his team be nearly as competitive this season – a likely spot in the postseason presents an unexpected question: Should general manager Bryan Murray add assets at the trade deadline?
“(Dealing) would come with one caveat. Let’s not lose focus of what our job is: That’s to rebuild,” Melnyk told the Ottawa Sun Monday. “The deal we made for Kyle Turris was more of an anomaly than anything else because we did give up a piece of our future and we weren’t going to be competitive without a second-line centre.”
Sounds to me like the Sens aren’t against adding pieces at the trade deadline, but not at the expense of the future.
In a related story, they’d like to have their cake and eat it too.
To be fair, there’s no shortage of cap space in Ottawa, so if Melnyk’s willing to open his wallet maybe they could acquire a player that’s being dumped for salary reasons in exchange for a high draft pick or something equally insignificant.
Chances are the Senators are still a ways away from contending for a Stanley Cup. The last thing they want to do is get ahead of themselves and think they’re already there. By the looks of it, they’ll be able to make a real push in the near future.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)