Jan 24, 2012, 1:18 PM EST
Another day, another Florida defenseman down.
Just a few days after losing Ed Jovanovski to a broken hand, the Panthers learned they’d be without the services of blueliner Dmitry Kulikov for 6-8 weeks after the 21-year-old underwent knee surgery.
Kulikov injured his knee during Saturday’s win over Winnipeg but continued to play through it, logging over 22 minutes in the 4-3 shootout victory.
The loss is huge for the Panthers as the former first-round pick had emerged as a top-flight blueliner. Kulikov is second on the team in defenseman scoring while averaging over 22 minutes per night, leading all Florida rearguards in hits (83).
With Kulikov and Jovanovski out for the foreseeable future, the Panthers will now roll with a defensive unit of Brian Campbell, Jason Garrison, Mike Weaver, Erik Gudbranson, Keaton Ellerby and Tyson Strachan, who was recently recalled from AHL San Antonio.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)