Jan 24, 2012, 10:40 PM EST
The 2012 All-Star Game will miss Alex Ovechkin‘s presence, but so far, the Washington Capitals are managing without him.
They managed to beat the mighty Boston Bruins 5-3 in the first contest of their captain’s three-game suspension. Mathieu Perrault nearly doubled his season total of goals to seven by scoring three tonight, including the game-winner:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
This is a nice way for the Capitals to head into the All-Star break, especially after the Florida Panthers fell to the Philadelphia Flyers in a shootout. Both teams are tied with 55 points but Washington has 26 wins to Florida’s 22. (The Panthers are subsisting on “charity points,” by the way. They’ve lost 11 games in shootouts or overtime and have six shootout victories.)
The Capitals will play two more games without Ovi after the break, including a significant contest against the Panthers in Florida on Feb. 1. If they can keep their heads above water while their captain stews because of that suspension, then this team could very well take control of the lowly Southeast Division.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 15
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 16
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 7
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8