Jan 24, 2012, 9:40 AM EST
Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk is a pretty smart guy. He’s done well to weather the storm of an ownership change in Dallas and keeps the Stars rolling along as a team that challenges for the playoffs.
While the Stars have hit a skid recently, he knows that what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger and as he tells Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News, that’s the exact message he’s giving his team while they go through a stretch of losing games and players to injury.
“There are X’s and O’s, that are costing us right now, but it’s more important how we feel as a group,” Nieuwendyk said. “The reality is if we win [today], we’re two points out with two games in hand. These are tough times, for sure, but you’ve got think they make you stronger when you get back going the way you want to be.”
The Stars are right in the thick of the playoff hunt despite losing five in a row and six of their last seven. With Mike Ribeiro and Jamie Benn returning to action soon, things should get turned around.
Dallas has a fight on their hands, however, for the postseason with Colorado, Minnesota, Calgary, and Phoenix all in the mix with them and a surging Anaheim roaring up from behind.
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 39
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (125)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)