Jan 24, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT
Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk is a pretty smart guy. He’s done well to weather the storm of an ownership change in Dallas and keeps the Stars rolling along as a team that challenges for the playoffs.
While the Stars have hit a skid recently, he knows that what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger and as he tells Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News, that’s the exact message he’s giving his team while they go through a stretch of losing games and players to injury.
“There are X’s and O’s, that are costing us right now, but it’s more important how we feel as a group,” Nieuwendyk said. “The reality is if we win [today], we’re two points out with two games in hand. These are tough times, for sure, but you’ve got think they make you stronger when you get back going the way you want to be.”
The Stars are right in the thick of the playoff hunt despite losing five in a row and six of their last seven. With Mike Ribeiro and Jamie Benn returning to action soon, things should get turned around.
Dallas has a fight on their hands, however, for the postseason with Colorado, Minnesota, Calgary, and Phoenix all in the mix with them and a surging Anaheim roaring up from behind.
- Senators’ OT hero Greening shows victory scars 0
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 11
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 11
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 22
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 32
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 45
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles