Jan 24, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT
Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk is a pretty smart guy. He’s done well to weather the storm of an ownership change in Dallas and keeps the Stars rolling along as a team that challenges for the playoffs.
While the Stars have hit a skid recently, he knows that what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger and as he tells Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News, that’s the exact message he’s giving his team while they go through a stretch of losing games and players to injury.
“There are X’s and O’s, that are costing us right now, but it’s more important how we feel as a group,” Nieuwendyk said. “The reality is if we win [today], we’re two points out with two games in hand. These are tough times, for sure, but you’ve got think they make you stronger when you get back going the way you want to be.”
The Stars are right in the thick of the playoff hunt despite losing five in a row and six of their last seven. With Mike Ribeiro and Jamie Benn returning to action soon, things should get turned around.
Dallas has a fight on their hands, however, for the postseason with Colorado, Minnesota, Calgary, and Phoenix all in the mix with them and a surging Anaheim roaring up from behind.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)