Jan 24, 2012, 12:02 PM EST
Joni Pitkanen‘s season in Carolina has been put on hold thanks to a concussion and now he’ll be out a bit longer thanks to rehabbing from knee surgery.
Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford says that Pitkanen will likely be out until March thanks to his two injuries. Rutherford tells Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer that getting Pitkanen back before the season ends is their goal.
“It’s all about the approach to rehab and how you go about the rehab. Based on his rehab, it should be about the first of March when he can get back to skating. Then it would be a week or so before he’s playing.”
Pitkanen’s absence from the Hurricanes lineup has been a glaring one. Without him, they’ve struggled to keep things together defensively this season and his absence has forced Carolina to put rookie Justin Faulk into a big time role.
Fortunately for the Canes, Faulk has adapted well and now the team is improving but by going without Pitkanen, they’re worse for the wear.
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 0
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 24
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 42
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Harding’s diving save highlights Wild’s win 5
- Varlamov expected to enter plea on Jan. 22 7
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (43)
- Video: Malkin, Penguins win wild, controversial one over Leafs (40)
- ‘It’s like Groundhog Day’: Schneider frustrated about backing up Brodeur (35)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)