Jan 24, 2012, 12:02 PM EDT
Joni Pitkanen‘s season in Carolina has been put on hold thanks to a concussion and now he’ll be out a bit longer thanks to rehabbing from knee surgery.
Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford says that Pitkanen will likely be out until March thanks to his two injuries. Rutherford tells Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer that getting Pitkanen back before the season ends is their goal.
“It’s all about the approach to rehab and how you go about the rehab. Based on his rehab, it should be about the first of March when he can get back to skating. Then it would be a week or so before he’s playing.”
Pitkanen’s absence from the Hurricanes lineup has been a glaring one. Without him, they’ve struggled to keep things together defensively this season and his absence has forced Carolina to put rookie Justin Faulk into a big time role.
Fortunately for the Canes, Faulk has adapted well and now the team is improving but by going without Pitkanen, they’re worse for the wear.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 18
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 16
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)