Jan 24, 2012, 12:02 PM EST
Joni Pitkanen‘s season in Carolina has been put on hold thanks to a concussion and now he’ll be out a bit longer thanks to rehabbing from knee surgery.
Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford says that Pitkanen will likely be out until March thanks to his two injuries. Rutherford tells Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer that getting Pitkanen back before the season ends is their goal.
“It’s all about the approach to rehab and how you go about the rehab. Based on his rehab, it should be about the first of March when he can get back to skating. Then it would be a week or so before he’s playing.”
Pitkanen’s absence from the Hurricanes lineup has been a glaring one. Without him, they’ve struggled to keep things together defensively this season and his absence has forced Carolina to put rookie Justin Faulk into a big time role.
Fortunately for the Canes, Faulk has adapted well and now the team is improving but by going without Pitkanen, they’re worse for the wear.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)