Jan 24, 2012, 12:02 PM EDT
Joni Pitkanen‘s season in Carolina has been put on hold thanks to a concussion and now he’ll be out a bit longer thanks to rehabbing from knee surgery.
Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford says that Pitkanen will likely be out until March thanks to his two injuries. Rutherford tells Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer that getting Pitkanen back before the season ends is their goal.
“It’s all about the approach to rehab and how you go about the rehab. Based on his rehab, it should be about the first of March when he can get back to skating. Then it would be a week or so before he’s playing.”
Pitkanen’s absence from the Hurricanes lineup has been a glaring one. Without him, they’ve struggled to keep things together defensively this season and his absence has forced Carolina to put rookie Justin Faulk into a big time role.
Fortunately for the Canes, Faulk has adapted well and now the team is improving but by going without Pitkanen, they’re worse for the wear.
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 2
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 20
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 37
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 114
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 57
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 15
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 42
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20