Hartnell added to 2012 All-Star Game

Jan 24, 2012, 12:09 PM EDT

Scott Hartnell Getty Images

The 2012 All-Star Game just got a lot hairier.

Scott Hartnell will participate in Sunday’s showcase event in Ottawa as an injury replacement for Jonathan Toews.

The Flyers’ power forward has 25 goals, tied for sixth in the NHL, so the news is no surprise – especially after his natural hat trick Sunday against the Bruins.

Hartnell admitted after initially not being chosen that it was a letdown.

“Yeah, it was a little disappointing, not going to lie,” he said, as per CSNPhilly.com. “I’ve had a good season thus far, our team’s had a great season thus far, we’re right at the top of the Eastern Conference. I thought there’d be an outside chance. But it wasn’t meant to be. I can’t be worried about it.”

And when asked if he’d still go if he were an injury replacement?

“Of course I would [go],” he said. “To play with the best players in the league at an All-Star game, it’s obviously a great accomplishment. I’d be there in a heartbeat. Like I said, it was probably a little disappointing, but if I get on a second or third list or whatever, I’d still be there.”

Meanwhile, Alex Ovechkin pouts.

1. miketoasty - Jan 24, 2012 at 12:21 PM

And of course James Neal who has more goal’s and assist’s is still left out in the cold. If Ovie doesn’t go he better be next in line to get the call.

2. pittsburghpoonslayer - Jan 24, 2012 at 12:22 PM

this is unbelievable.. this ginger hack made it over the real deal james neal. he must have given out handjobs to someone. or neal must have banged gary bettmans daughter.

3. broadstbully33 - Jan 24, 2012 at 12:22 PM

best PF in the game….and better than every shitsburgh player

• miketoasty - Jan 24, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Hmmm, I think you are mistaken. Let’s check average points for him vs Malkin. Enough said.

• luvsyellopuzy - Jan 24, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Malkin is defintely better. But I wouldn’t consider Malkin a PF. Maybe its me, but I think of PF’s as wingers.

But Scotty easily has better hair.

4. dougr42 - Jan 24, 2012 at 12:23 PM

I can’t wait to see a HARTNELL DOWN in the ASG.

5. dmacirish - Jan 24, 2012 at 12:33 PM

good for you scottie. neal is one goal & one assist ahead of hartnell (even in goals/game). he is also 13 pts behind in the plus/minus category, all with one game in hand. argument can be made either way, i guess some voters outside of pittsburgh realize that just because an individual can score goals an all star is one who works on both sides of the red line. not saying neal doesnt deserve it but saying scottie definitely does.

6. pittsburghpoonslayer - Jan 24, 2012 at 12:33 PM

broadbully you must live in filthadelphia cus it sounds like you’ve been inhaling that nasty turd cloud that hovers over the city

• blacksabbathrulesall - Jan 24, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Yeah,it’s called Scott Fartsmell.

• kellyb9 - Jan 24, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I can only guess but based on your username… Ben Roethisberger?

7. luvsyellopuzy - Jan 24, 2012 at 12:39 PM

LMFAO. Filthadelphia! Now that never gets old!

8. dougr42 - Jan 24, 2012 at 12:40 PM

It would be awesome to see him and Lupul back together.

9. pittsburghpoonslayer - Jan 24, 2012 at 12:56 PM

that was a funny one black sabbath hahhha

• emoser - Jan 24, 2012 at 6:10 PM

You strike me as the kind of person who buys front row tickets to see Carlos Mencia.

10. illcomm - Jan 24, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Guess we can now have more Geico commercials. Go Scottie.

11. napoleonblownapart6887 - Jan 24, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Don’t have a problem with Hartnell making it as long as Neal takes Ovi’s spot.

12. dcent87 - Jan 24, 2012 at 1:37 PM

lol..all around Hartnell is so much better than neal…hoop of his jock shitsburg fans

• letangshair - Jan 24, 2012 at 1:43 PM

better at getting his weave permed.

13. rexadelphia8 - Jan 24, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Beam me up Scotty, career year so far

14. blacksabbathrulesall - Jan 24, 2012 at 2:04 PM

“hoop of his jock shitsburg fans”

What?
    Philly education folks

15. philsosexy - Jan 24, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Best fluke ever hahaha i love it

• laurely515 - Jan 24, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Including this season, Hartnell has scored at least 20 goals in six of the last seven seasons. It’s kind of hard to call that a fluke.

16. dropthepuckeh - Jan 24, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Patrice Bergeron should be going. Plus/minus of 27, great face-off guy, defensive minded and phenomenal character respected by all of the league. This is the type of player the NHL should be showcasing if they want to grow the sport.

17. dgrindsports - Jan 24, 2012 at 10:25 PM

It’s not a all-star game any more. If it was, there would be names like Pietrangelo, Backes, Shattenkirk
    like, the actual all-stars.

For more sports, google Daily Grind Sports