Jan 24, 2012, 10:38 AM EDT
Nine. That’s how many Lightning players are out with injuries right now and for head coach Guy Boucher, it’s made life miserable in Tampa.
After seeing the Lightning come within a game of the Stanley Cup finals, the Bolts are buried at the bottom of the Eastern Conference. For Boucher, it’s been more than trying to win games with constant injuries as he tells Lonnie Herman of NHL.com.
“Right now, it doesn’t really matter — home or on the road — it’s a question of injuries. Malone and Tyrell are out and half of Norfolk is coming up,” Boucher said, in reference to the call-ups from the team’s AHL affiliate. “Upper body, lower body, back of the body and top of the head … we’ve got them all now. To me, it’s just a blur right now.”
It might be a blur, but the Lightning have won three in a row. Getting great play from Steve Stamkos, Martin St. Louis, and Vincent Lecavalier is expected but they’ve had to step up even more being so shorthanded.
The Lightning having to go without three starting defensemen (Victor Hedman, Mattias Ohlund, Marc-Andre Bergeron) as well as starting forwards like Ryan Malone, Adam Hall, and Ryan Shannon it makes staying consistent a big problem. For now, Boucher will hope that everyone can get healthy while their slew of AHL call-ups can help the team rally in the second half.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 14
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 90
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (89)