Jan 24, 2012, 12:08 PM EST
The firestorm started by Boston Bruins goalie Tim Thomas yesterday continues to burn, as angry Democrats are now speaking out about the snub.
Those criticizing Thomas for skipping the Bruins’ White House visit include former Massachusetts Democratic chairman Philip Johnston, who served under President Clinton.
“My advice to him is to stick to hockey,” Johnston told the Boston Herald. “I think Bruins players are taken seriously for their hockey, not for their politics.”
Also joining in was Kevin Franck, current spokesman and communications director for the Massachusetts Democratic Party.
“I think anyone who really cares about the lives, liberty and happiness of the American people wouldn’t miss an opportunity to shake the hand of the man who got [Osama] bin Laden,” he said.
Those in the pro-Thomas camp are pointing out the reigning Conn Smythe winner isn’t the first professional athlete to skip the celebratory garden party.
In 1996, Green Bay Packers tight end Mark Chmura balked on meeting President Clinton; Steelers linebacker James Harrison skipped out in 2006 (President Bush) and 2009 (President Obama) and, most recently, former Bears lineman Dan Hampton opted not to attend the 25th anniversary of Chicago’s 1986 Super Bowl because he was “not a fan of the guy in the White House.”
- BREAKING: Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM 9
- Mike Richards clears waivers 22
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)