Jan 24, 2012, 4:14 PM EST
Anaheim general manager Bob Murray is hoping to put an end to the speculation that he could trade Teemu Selanne prior to the Feb. 27 deadline.
Murray said yesterday that it won’t be happening. And just so everyone’s clear, he asked reporters to “make that [message] very strong” in their articles, as per the Los Angeles Times.
Selanne has a no-trade clause, so even if Murray did want to make a deal, it would have to be approved by the player
And what if Selanne goes to the GM and requests a trade to a Stanley Cup contender, or perhaps even his first team, the Winnipeg Jets? Last week the 41-year-old didn’t exactly dismiss the notion.
Even though the Ducks are 8-1-1 in their last 10 games, they’re still 11 points back of eighth-place Colorado in the Western Conference. By the end of February – FYI, the Ducks have an eight-game road trip from Feb. 10-23 – they could be all but officially out of the playoff picture.
With that in mind, PHT has decided to keep an open mind and continue to report any Selanne trade speculation that may come across our desk.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 2
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 9
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 2
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 54
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 63
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 31
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 7
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 53
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)