Jan 24, 2012, 4:14 PM EDT
Anaheim general manager Bob Murray is hoping to put an end to the speculation that he could trade Teemu Selanne prior to the Feb. 27 deadline.
Murray said yesterday that it won’t be happening. And just so everyone’s clear, he asked reporters to “make that [message] very strong” in their articles, as per the Los Angeles Times.
Selanne has a no-trade clause, so even if Murray did want to make a deal, it would have to be approved by the player
And what if Selanne goes to the GM and requests a trade to a Stanley Cup contender, or perhaps even his first team, the Winnipeg Jets? Last week the 41-year-old didn’t exactly dismiss the notion.
Even though the Ducks are 8-1-1 in their last 10 games, they’re still 11 points back of eighth-place Colorado in the Western Conference. By the end of February – FYI, the Ducks have an eight-game road trip from Feb. 10-23 – they could be all but officially out of the playoff picture.
With that in mind, PHT has decided to keep an open mind and continue to report any Selanne trade speculation that may come across our desk.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 9
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 51
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (54)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)