Jan 24, 2012, 9:11 PM EST
Alex Ovechkin endears himself to hockey fans because he’s just as likely to clobber someone with a big hit as he is to score a dazzling goal.
The thought was that his physical style might catch up to him, but after receiving the third suspension of his NHL career, it’s hard not to wonder if lost paychecks will soften his edges instead. The Washington Capitals certainly hope not, as GM George McPhee told Stephen Whyno.
“Yeah, we’re concerned about it, certainly. But what we want him to do when he comes back is play the way he’s always played,” McPhee said. “We want him to be relentless, we want him to score goals. We want him to be physical.”
Losing Ovechkin for three games hurts, without a doubt. That being said, this absence means he won’t play again until Feb. 4 – and that might just be a good thing.
Sure, Ovechkin is only 26-years-old, but he’s put a lot of mileage on that body over the years. For example: instead of taking a break and resting his beaten-up knee after the 2011 playoffs, he jumped right to the World Championships (and went pointless in five games).
Getting an improvised vacation might just be what Ovechkin needs to get back to that driven, relentless style again. In fact, he could even channel some of that “old” Ovechkin who was a physical force like no one else in the league.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)