Jan 24, 2012, 1:09 PM EST
So…just a coincidence Alex Ovechkin pulled out of the All-Star Game the same day the Capitals – from the owner to the general manager to the player himself – grumbled about the three-game suspension the league handed Ovechkin yesterday for launching himself into Zbynek Michalek?
First the owner, Ted Leonsis, on his personal blog: “I do not agree in any way with the suspension of Alex Ovechkin for 3 games. I support Alex Ovechkin. He is our bedrock player – our Captain; and he and his family know that we are always here to support him.”
Then the GM, George McPhee, to reporters: “I was surprised and disappointed. I didn’t anticipate he’d be suspended for three games. We presented our case to the league yesterday and I thought we did real well, but didn’t get the result we wanted.”
Finally, Ovechkin: “My game is play physical, my game is play hard and I don’t think it was bad hit, dirty hit. Yeah I jumped but he don’t get hurt. I don’t get two minutes. I don’t think it was three-game suspension.”
Yeah, probably just a coincidence. Not sticking it to the league whatsoever.
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 6
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 23
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3