Jan 24, 2012, 1:09 PM EDT
So…just a coincidence Alex Ovechkin pulled out of the All-Star Game the same day the Capitals – from the owner to the general manager to the player himself – grumbled about the three-game suspension the league handed Ovechkin yesterday for launching himself into Zbynek Michalek?
First the owner, Ted Leonsis, on his personal blog: “I do not agree in any way with the suspension of Alex Ovechkin for 3 games. I support Alex Ovechkin. He is our bedrock player – our Captain; and he and his family know that we are always here to support him.”
Then the GM, George McPhee, to reporters: “I was surprised and disappointed. I didn’t anticipate he’d be suspended for three games. We presented our case to the league yesterday and I thought we did real well, but didn’t get the result we wanted.”
Finally, Ovechkin: “My game is play physical, my game is play hard and I don’t think it was bad hit, dirty hit. Yeah I jumped but he don’t get hurt. I don’t get two minutes. I don’t think it was three-game suspension.”
Yeah, probably just a coincidence. Not sticking it to the league whatsoever.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 6
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 35
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54