Jan 24, 2012, 7:59 PM EDT
Injuries are never really a good thing, aside from the occasional bit of dumb luck (see: Drew Bledsoe being sidelined to open the door for the Tom Brady Age). That being said, if they need to happen, teams likely prefer them to take place in advance of the trade deadline.
CSNBayArea.com’s Ray Ratto indicates that might be the case with Brent Burns and the San Jose Sharks. The offensive defenseman fell victim to bad luck in the form of Alex Hemsky’s knee-to-knee injury, a snafu that might force GM Doug Wilson’s hand a bit.
Here’s a quick look at the possible scenarios according to Ratto (click here for an extended take).
2. He could be forced to overpay in a scenario in which Burns is hurt but the two forwards end up healthy.
3. The Sharks might be forced to replace Clowe – a player I deemed the NHL’s most functional fighter – but the other two are fine. (Good luck finding another Clowe at a reasonable price.)
4. Chaos if Burns and at least one of those two are out for a prolonged period.
So what’s going to happen? That remains to be seen as injury updates trickle in, but Ratto has this entertaining look into how it could play out if No. 4 is the answer:
But this will allow a glimpse of Doug Wilson’s gift for tactical prevarication. Maybe he’ll slip us a safe word as a tell — maybe something from the George Carlin Words You Can’t Say On Television Collection. Because if the news on Burns and/or Clowe and Havlat is bad, he’ll be using all seven of them, loudly and repeatedly.
For unbiased observers, it all sounds quite entertaining, doesn’t it?
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 69
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63