Jan 24, 2012, 7:59 PM EDT
Injuries are never really a good thing, aside from the occasional bit of dumb luck (see: Drew Bledsoe being sidelined to open the door for the Tom Brady Age). That being said, if they need to happen, teams likely prefer them to take place in advance of the trade deadline.
CSNBayArea.com’s Ray Ratto indicates that might be the case with Brent Burns and the San Jose Sharks. The offensive defenseman fell victim to bad luck in the form of Alex Hemsky’s knee-to-knee injury, a snafu that might force GM Doug Wilson’s hand a bit.
Here’s a quick look at the possible scenarios according to Ratto (click here for an extended take).
2. He could be forced to overpay in a scenario in which Burns is hurt but the two forwards end up healthy.
3. The Sharks might be forced to replace Clowe – a player I deemed the NHL’s most functional fighter – but the other two are fine. (Good luck finding another Clowe at a reasonable price.)
4. Chaos if Burns and at least one of those two are out for a prolonged period.
So what’s going to happen? That remains to be seen as injury updates trickle in, but Ratto has this entertaining look into how it could play out if No. 4 is the answer:
But this will allow a glimpse of Doug Wilson’s gift for tactical prevarication. Maybe he’ll slip us a safe word as a tell — maybe something from the George Carlin Words You Can’t Say On Television Collection. Because if the news on Burns and/or Clowe and Havlat is bad, he’ll be using all seven of them, loudly and repeatedly.
For unbiased observers, it all sounds quite entertaining, doesn’t it?
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)