Jan 24, 2012, 12:28 PM EDT
Capitals GM George McPhee spoke after the team’s practice this morning to say that Ovechkin will not participate in this year’s All-Star Game in Ottawa saying he doesn’t want Ovechkin to be a distraction.
“His heart’s not in it,” McPhee tells Stephen Whyno of The Washington Times.
McPhee also said that Ovechkin approached him saying that he was a suspended player and that he does not deserve to be at the All-Star Game. Ovechkin’s reasons for stepping aside from the game seem noble, but it’s an easy situation to be skeptical about.
As for Ovechkin himself, this is what he had to say: “My heart is not there. I got suspended, so why I have to go there?”
With Ovechkin out of the game, that opens up another roster spot for someone else deserving to go. The leading candidate to replace Ovechkin now that Scott Hartnell has been added to the game would be Penguins forward James Neal. Neal is near the top of the NHL leaderboard in goals with 26, the same number his All-Star teammate Evgeni Malkin has.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 33
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)