Jan 23, 2012, 9:29 PM EST
No doubt about it, Tomas Vokoun hasn’t been quite what the Washington Capitals expected, especially before 2012 rolled around. If you want a good idea of how much his stock has dropped, take a look at how far he fell in The Hockey News’ Top 30 Goalie Rankings:
(click to enlarge; screen shot via Dave Isaac)
If you don’t feel like clicking, Vokoun fell from ninth last season to 25th out of the top 30 in 2011-12. Here are a few other observations from this natural debate generator:
- Brian Elliott (ninth place) and Mike Smith (12th place) made the biggest jumps as they weren’t even in the top 30 last season.
- Want a clue that the 2010-11 version happened before the 2011 All-Star Game? Ondrej Pavelec was ranked fourth overall. As you may remember, the Atlanta Thrashers-turned-Winnipeg Jets were strong in the first half of last season before falling apart in the second.
- The most interesting omission has to be Ilya Bryzgalov, who didn’t make the top 30. He’s certainly having a tough season, but The Hockey News doesn’t even believe he’s the equivalent to an NHL starter right now. Wow.
- Backups received a lot of love, including Tuukka Rask, who fell just a bit short of the top 10 at No. 11. Martin Biron might be the most surprising choice at No. 27.
Anyway, enough of PHT’s observations, what are some of yours? Is Henrik Lundqvist really the best goalie in the NHL? Who gets too much love or too little? Let us know in the comments.
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 7
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 80
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 74
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 64
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 41
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 74
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 170
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (170)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (83)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (76)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (74)