Jan 23, 2012, 9:29 PM EDT
No doubt about it, Tomas Vokoun hasn’t been quite what the Washington Capitals expected, especially before 2012 rolled around. If you want a good idea of how much his stock has dropped, take a look at how far he fell in The Hockey News’ Top 30 Goalie Rankings:
(click to enlarge; screen shot via Dave Isaac)
If you don’t feel like clicking, Vokoun fell from ninth last season to 25th out of the top 30 in 2011-12. Here are a few other observations from this natural debate generator:
- Brian Elliott (ninth place) and Mike Smith (12th place) made the biggest jumps as they weren’t even in the top 30 last season.
- Want a clue that the 2010-11 version happened before the 2011 All-Star Game? Ondrej Pavelec was ranked fourth overall. As you may remember, the Atlanta Thrashers-turned-Winnipeg Jets were strong in the first half of last season before falling apart in the second.
- The most interesting omission has to be Ilya Bryzgalov, who didn’t make the top 30. He’s certainly having a tough season, but The Hockey News doesn’t even believe he’s the equivalent to an NHL starter right now. Wow.
- Backups received a lot of love, including Tuukka Rask, who fell just a bit short of the top 10 at No. 11. Martin Biron might be the most surprising choice at No. 27.
Anyway, enough of PHT’s observations, what are some of yours? Is Henrik Lundqvist really the best goalie in the NHL? Who gets too much love or too little? Let us know in the comments.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)