Jan 23, 2012, 8:59 PM EDT
It’s likely that many players have their own road trip routines, but Tomas Fleischmann‘s is truly unique. The Florida Sun Sentinel’s Harvey Fialkov describes what the Florida Panthers forward must do before each plane ride thanks to his bouts with blood clots:
When other players are taking postgame showers and talking to the media, Fleischmann is injecting himself with an anticoagulant concoction and donning a rubberized compression suit for the plane trip.
Just a season ago, Fleischmann’s career was in serious jeopardy as the Colorado air brought his blood clot issues back, only that time the issue impacted his lungs. One doctor went as far as to say that his NHL days were over, but he sought out a second opinion that allowed him to continue his career – though with some risk.
“In general, people who are very active are somewhat protected from repeated blood clots,” Dr. David Dennis said, “Except when you throw in the issue of trauma, getting hit by hockey sticks or slamming your head into the ice.
“You have to commend his bravery; he must love his sport.”
Fleischmann might be struggling now (zero points in his last eight games) but it’s impressive that he’s gotten his career back on track.
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 54
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 21
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 22
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- LIVE: Stanley Cup Final Game 4 pregame show
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming