Jan 23, 2012, 8:59 PM EST
It’s likely that many players have their own road trip routines, but Tomas Fleischmann‘s is truly unique. The Florida Sun Sentinel’s Harvey Fialkov describes what the Florida Panthers forward must do before each plane ride thanks to his bouts with blood clots:
When other players are taking postgame showers and talking to the media, Fleischmann is injecting himself with an anticoagulant concoction and donning a rubberized compression suit for the plane trip.
Just a season ago, Fleischmann’s career was in serious jeopardy as the Colorado air brought his blood clot issues back, only that time the issue impacted his lungs. One doctor went as far as to say that his NHL days were over, but he sought out a second opinion that allowed him to continue his career – though with some risk.
“In general, people who are very active are somewhat protected from repeated blood clots,” Dr. David Dennis said, “Except when you throw in the issue of trauma, getting hit by hockey sticks or slamming your head into the ice.
“You have to commend his bravery; he must love his sport.”
Fleischmann might be struggling now (zero points in his last eight games) but it’s impressive that he’s gotten his career back on track.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 24
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 23
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 42
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)