Jan 23, 2012, 6:52 PM EST
Shortly after opting out of the Bruins’ celebratory White House visit, Stanley Cup playoffs MVP Tim Thomas posted an explanation for his absence on his official Facebook page:
I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People.
This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government.
Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL.
This is the only public statement I will be making on this topic.
According to the Boston Herald, Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli said he discussed the White House visit for months with Thomas, but declined to reveal why the Conn Smythe-winning netminder opted not to attend.
Chiarelli also said Thomas could be suspended for not showing up for a team event, but will not be.
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 21
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 36
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 33
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 56
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 165
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (165)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)