Jan 23, 2012, 3:11 PM EDT
Turns out this sign, which recently popped up at a Jets game…
…has kicked up quite the hornets nest.
While Kane dismissed the sign on Twitter — “hahaha what a complete Lie this is,” he wrote — Lawless noted it’s the latest in a series of incidents involving the 20-year-old:
– Kane has a business manager (a different person from his agent, Craig Oster) who went around to Winnipeg restaurants asking for cash in exchange for Kane’s endorsement tweets.
– The piece alleges Kane is “immature” and often comes across as arrogant. “[He's] a lightning rod for this sort of thing,” Lawless writes. “He’s a big-time talent in a small town. Being a handsome young millionaire endowed with enormous God-given talents will do that.”
Lawless did reach out to two of Winnipeg’s more popular eateries — 529 Wellington and Earl’s — and neither confirmed the accusations of skipping on bills. (One establishment called Kane “a perfect gentleman.”)
But in unearthing these claims, Lawless discovered one of the more intriguing parts of the story:
He wasn’t the only one doing some digging.
Turns out that NHL security had also conducted an investigation to the matter (which Lawless learned about by contacting various restaurants.) While an internal investigation isn’t evidence of guilt, it does toss fuel on the “where there’s smoke, there’s fire” theory.
Kane’s only been in Winnipeg for over half a season, but it’s been a tumultuous campaign. There have been rumors of trade demands, public spats with his head coach and now, he’s on the shelf with a concussion — yet he’s also the Jets’ leading goalscorer and is second in points despite being the second-youngest player on the team. He’s a polarizing figure either way.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)