Jan 23, 2012, 6:42 PM EST
Flying somewhat under the radar this weekend (which is to say, we totally missed this) was a report by the Columbus Dispatch that suggested Blue Jackets general manager Scott Howson — along with team president Mike Priest — won’t be fired after the team’s miserable season is over.
Judging by the whispers and hints coming out of the Blue Jackets’ owners meeting last week, club president Mike Priest and general manager Scott Howson are secure in their jobs, even though the Jackets, with the highest payroll in franchise history, will miss the Stanley Cup playoffs for a third straight season.
Priest and Howson are said to have sold the ownership group on a plan that includes potentially significant changes before the 2012-13 season, but not the front-office and roster overhaul many within the organization and around the NHL believe is needed to simply get the franchise on par with the rest of the league.
Did you hear that, Jackets fans? “Potentially significant changes” are coming.
Frankly, I’m shocked ownership would consider bringing Howson back. I mean, it’s not like he just got the job – he’s been the GM in Columbus since 2007.
Howson’s decision to roll the dice with goalie Steve Mason after a summer spent adding millions and millions to the payroll was absolutely horrendous. Drafting Nikita Filatov was bad as well. Ditto for signing Mike Commodore to a big contract, eventually having to buy the defenseman out.
More from the Dispatch:
Don’t be surprised if [Jeff] Carter — ballyhooed as the long-awaited No. 1 center just six months ago — is sent packing to one of the many clubs in the NHL who are looking for a top-six forward.
Carter and [Rick] Nash have never shown signs of enhancing each other’s games, and although Carter has said all the right things about wanting to make it work in Columbus, his body language on the ice has been something different.
It’s hard to blame Howson for going after a top-line center like Carter to play with Nash. However, if Carter is traded prior to the deadline and the Jackets don’t land something comparable to what they gave up to the Flyers, it’s another big blunder to add to Howson’s resume.
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 1
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 4
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 11
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 14
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 7
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 35