Jan 23, 2012, 4:50 PM EST
Earlier this month, Todd Bertuzzi dropped a lawsuit against his former coach, Marc Crawford — a lawsuit that alleged Crawford had encouraged Bertuzzi to seek retribution against Colorado forward Steve Moore nearly eight years ago.
Now Moore’s legal team wants to know why the lawsuit was dropped.
We all remember what happened on Mar. 8, 2004, during a game between Vancouver and the Colorado Avalanche. Moore hasn’t played since and is suing Bertuzzi and the company that owns the Canucks for $38 million in a case that’s expected to start in September or October.
Today, Moore’s lawyer, Tim Danson, argued in a Toronto court that the dropping of the lawsuit may indicate a conspiracy against his client.
“This agreement . . . is the (hockey) code in action,” Danson told Superior Court Master Ronald Dash, as reported by Postmedia. “It’s making sure that those on that side are making a united front against Mr. Moore.”
I’m no law-talking guy, but I don’t blame Danson for being suspicious. I’d want to know why the lawsuit was dropped, too. Was it because Bertuzzi’s legal team concluded the suit had no merit? Or was it to curry favor with Crawford before he testified on what happened that day?
- In praise of the Hamburglar 7
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 4
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 9
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)