Jan 23, 2012, 4:50 PM EDT
Earlier this month, Todd Bertuzzi dropped a lawsuit against his former coach, Marc Crawford — a lawsuit that alleged Crawford had encouraged Bertuzzi to seek retribution against Colorado forward Steve Moore nearly eight years ago.
Now Moore’s legal team wants to know why the lawsuit was dropped.
We all remember what happened on Mar. 8, 2004, during a game between Vancouver and the Colorado Avalanche. Moore hasn’t played since and is suing Bertuzzi and the company that owns the Canucks for $38 million in a case that’s expected to start in September or October.
Today, Moore’s lawyer, Tim Danson, argued in a Toronto court that the dropping of the lawsuit may indicate a conspiracy against his client.
“This agreement . . . is the (hockey) code in action,” Danson told Superior Court Master Ronald Dash, as reported by Postmedia. “It’s making sure that those on that side are making a united front against Mr. Moore.”
I’m no law-talking guy, but I don’t blame Danson for being suspicious. I’d want to know why the lawsuit was dropped, too. Was it because Bertuzzi’s legal team concluded the suit had no merit? Or was it to curry favor with Crawford before he testified on what happened that day?
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)