Jan 23, 2012, 4:50 PM EDT
Earlier this month, Todd Bertuzzi dropped a lawsuit against his former coach, Marc Crawford — a lawsuit that alleged Crawford had encouraged Bertuzzi to seek retribution against Colorado forward Steve Moore nearly eight years ago.
Now Moore’s legal team wants to know why the lawsuit was dropped.
We all remember what happened on Mar. 8, 2004, during a game between Vancouver and the Colorado Avalanche. Moore hasn’t played since and is suing Bertuzzi and the company that owns the Canucks for $38 million in a case that’s expected to start in September or October.
Today, Moore’s lawyer, Tim Danson, argued in a Toronto court that the dropping of the lawsuit may indicate a conspiracy against his client.
“This agreement . . . is the (hockey) code in action,” Danson told Superior Court Master Ronald Dash, as reported by Postmedia. “It’s making sure that those on that side are making a united front against Mr. Moore.”
I’m no law-talking guy, but I don’t blame Danson for being suspicious. I’d want to know why the lawsuit was dropped, too. Was it because Bertuzzi’s legal team concluded the suit had no merit? Or was it to curry favor with Crawford before he testified on what happened that day?
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 98
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (99)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)