Jan 23, 2012, 1:58 PM EDT
The NHL has announced its first two injury replacements for the 2012 NHL All-Star game in Ottawa.
The two newest players will add an infusion of youth to the ASG. Eberle, 21, leads the Oilers in goals, assists and points and will be making his NHL All-Star Game debut in Ottawa while Letang, 24, will be making his fourth appearance (two YoungStars/Rookie-Sophomore appearances, two ASGs).
Letang has 23 points in 25 games this season and is playing an average of 26:13 per game for the Penguins.
If you’re looking for potential objections to either of these replacements, look no further than the city of Philadelphia. Flyers fans (and coaches!) have been outspoken in saying Scott Hartnell is deserving of an All-Star spot…and to be honest, they’ve got a point. Hartnell is fifth in the NHL in goals, with 25, and leads the league with 13 power-play markers. Not to discredit the body of work Eberle’s put forth, of course.
On defense, it’s hard to argue with the Letang addition — if he’s healthy, he deserves to go — though Jason Garrison, who leads all defensemen with 13 goals, is a worthy candidate.
That said, both Hartnell and Garrison may still get a chance to go to Ottawa. Jamie Benn, Jonathan Toews and Ryan Suter (yes, even though he’s back tonight) are all dealing with injury issues and could potentially be held out of the All-Star festivities.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)