Jan 23, 2012, 9:20 AM EST
If you were wondering where Nathan Horton was towards the end of the Bruins’ 6-5 shootout win over Philly, you weren’t alone.
Horton was held out of the third period and overtime thanks to a hit in the head by Flyers forward Tom Sestito. After seeing what Horton went through last year after being hit unknowingly by Vancouver’s Aaron Rome in the Stanley Cup finals, Horton and the Bruins are a bit more sensitive about seeing guys hit in the head.
You can see Sestito’s hit in this crude video from YouTube.
After the game, Claude Julien sounded off to CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty about the play and why Horton stayed off the ice.
“There was a blindside hit on Horton. [The Washington game] is two days away, so we’ll see,” said Bruins head coach Claude Julien. “I haven’t had a chance to talk to our trainers or even get a doctor’s report to see how severe it is right now. I guess we’ll find out in the next few days here, but certainly [the doctors] didn’t allow him to come back in this game.”
It was good to see the doctors do their job there and erring on the safe side, but whether or not the NHL decides to take action against Sestito is still undecided. This play seems like it falls right in the wheelhouse for Brendan Shanahan to pick up the phone.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)