Jan 23, 2012, 5:47 PM EDT
CSNNE’s Joe Haggerty reports that Bruins forward Nathan Horton is listed as day-to-day with what Boston GM Peter Chiarelli is calling a “mild concussion.”
Horton suffered the injury during Sunday’s game against Philadelphia, when he took this shot from Flyers forward Tom Sestito during the second period (FF to 0:23 mark):
Horton was held out of the third period, overtime and shootout. Bruins coach Claude Julien said it was a “blindside hit” but didn’t speculate on the severity of the injury. That was left to Chiarelli.
“I don’t have an official update other than I think it’s a ‘mild concussion’ from what I saw and heard last night – and talking to him today,” he told CSNNE. “These things are day-to-day so I’d say he’s day-to-day.
“He’s in that gray area between taking the impact testing and see how it is the next day and the following day. Then you make a determination. He’s in that gray area right now.”
Horton has a history of head injuries dating back to the concussion suffered at the hands of Vancouver’s Aaron Rome during last June’s Stanley Cup Finals. That cost him the final four games of the series and a portion of his offseason skating routine, perhaps contributing to his slow start to this season.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 10
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)